SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mccaintracy

Old rose, need opinions please :)

mccaintracy
7 years ago

We moved into my fathers house about 8 years ago. When I was a teenager, my father attempted some landscaping, and planted a rose bush behind the house. That was close to 20 years ago. Anyway, he wasn't much good at keeping things up, and over the years, let everything just overgrow. I spent the first two years here basically bushwhacking the backyard. Once I finally got thru the huge grown out thistlebushes, I was amazed to see the lone rose attempting to survive underneath it all. I couldn't believe my eyes!! The poor thing was silent, we never noticed any of her blooms over the years, and I thought, surely, she had passed on. But to our surprise, the year after we cleaned everything out around her, she was standing tall, and gave us a wonderful show! Unfortunately that didn't last very long. Soon, most of her foliage had micro cut-outs within each leaf, and the leaves quickly shriveled up and fell. We were left with canes, and no foliage. I pruned this spring, and from the main plant, I see nothing. Right in front of the mother root, are about 2-3 new growths. But, I'm seeing that micro-hole spotting again, and need some help. Can anyone give me any info about this micro-spotting foliage killer?? I've kept an eye on it, and do not see any pests, webbing, or powdery tell-tale signs. Also, is it safe to say this new growth is going to live on as its own new plant? I'm afraid if I leave the old dried up root stock there, that it will creat more issues rotting away, and could possibly effect the new growth. I wonder if I should move her once she's healthy. Right now, she's planted against the back of my house that is all sand. I'm amazed shes lived this long, as I feel the soil isn't what is probably the most healthy. Maybe I should add a bit of compost to her bed, and just give her some nutrients?? I'm attaching some pictures I just took an hour ago, of what I have left of her. I hope someone can give me some ideas, but if she's not worth saving, I'm ok with that too. Thanks in advance!!!! Tracy (Fairport, NY)

Comments (2)