SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningglovequilter

Events since the drain hose flood....

MiMi
7 years ago

What a busy time it's been since my drain hose flipped out... I originally thought I got off pretty easy, shop vacuuming up 3 rooms of flooded floors with tile, that very little water had made it into the bedrooms that back up to both sides of the utility room that have carpet in them. Wrong wrong wrong.....

I went into the bedroom that backs up to the washer the next day and squish.... oh no. The entire room was soaked! Now here's the kicker, my husband was out of town, in Colorado doing Fire Chief training, I was home alone. So, I just started sliding the furniture to the other side of the room, got my carpet knife and roll of duct tape. cut the carpet into 2' wide strips, rolled it up, duct taped it and out it went, roll by roll, then the same with the padding. I had to slide the furniture around several times during the process. Then did the closet....

Fast forward... now the floor is scrubbed beyond clean, all trim and walls have been painted, the closet has been purged, painted and back together. Now this is a project I have been planning on doing for a while, the carpet was 14 years old and needed replaced, that is why I did not involve the insurance co. I even gave the antique furniture in a coat of finish rejuvenation. The room is sitting there all ready for new carpet. This is exactly the way I had planned on redoing this room, just not prodded by a flood....

The other bedroom, which we use as our home office/tv room was also wet but only into about a foot of the room. No way I could do both rooms at the same time by myself, it can wait, but it needs new carpet and painting also. It's next on the list. My poor back has to recover first.....

I should have known this was coming, why? The day before my husband left town we went out for Panda Express... my fortune said "A project you have planned will soon take momentum"..... I kid you not, that was my fortune, my husband said.. great, just great.....

Now, to the drain hose. As I was lugging those wet rolls of carpet to the garage every time I walked by the washer I was giving it a dirty look but I also thought man that things stinks and I just cleaned it!. I mean moldy,musty awful smell. It has never ever smelled, so I got to thinking about the drain hose. I had pulled it a little tighter and wire tied it in place. I noticed there wasn't much of a sway in the hose doing this so cut the wire tie, let the hose drape down a little more and presto, the smell went away. I know the smell was coming from the hose not the drain or I would smell it in the room at all times. So it got me to thinking and wondering if some people who are complaining about their washer smelling, if it's actually coming from the drain hose? Mine is corrugated plastic so there's lots of grooves for water to hang up in and mold. Plus along with having to switch washer and dryer positions since you can't reverse the doors, it's a extra long stretch for the hose, allowing for very little draping. Just a thought that crossed my mind.. but mine is sure going to getting a new hose...

Off today to shop for new carpet....

Comments (4)