SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missy_california

Flood and Drain Brainstorm -- Hoping for Feedback

Monique Verrier
11 years ago

Hi Everyone --

I have room to set up a hydroponic system outdoors and I want to grow tomatoes and cucumbers. I have a basic plan but I was hoping that those of you with more experience might read it over and let me know if you think of any possible problems.

I build basically a long box (like 8 or 10 feet long) and line it with plastic. This is the area that will be flooded. I put some drain holes in the plastic and the wood below. The box is level. Underneath the box, I trench out a the drainage platform then line it with plastic in the form of a V and put a perforated drain pipe in the lowest are of the V. The drainage platform is sloped towards the reservoir. The reservoir is on the side of the trough and the drainage pipe drains into the reservoir. There is a filter between the drain pipe and the reservoir. The reservoir has a pump in it. The water is pumped into the box and drains through it onto the drainage platform and back into the reservoir.

The plants are planted in pots filled with gravel. I thought if I filled the trough with gravel and there was a problem, it would be really hard to take out all the gravel. With pots, I can just take them out and troubleshoot.

So, please, I would love to hear your thoughts and comments and possible pitfalls before I embark on this plan. I'm mostly using scrap materials in order to economize as much as possible.

Thanks a zillion!

Monique.

hope

Comments (6)