SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kentc

alternatives to ivy for small area groundcover

kentc
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I know the mere mention of ivy brings out the worst in some people. I know that in some areas of the country it can escape and become invasive. I have no worries about it doing that in my LA suburban garden, Sunset zone 18/19. But I also know that ivy can get out of control and needs constant maintenance so if there is an alternative that can provide what I need with a more manageable plant I'd like to have suggestions. Many of the ground covers suggestions in the Sunset garden book are either much too tall, 1' or more, or too short, like dymondia. Plus many don't really cover the ground and can become patchy, like ajuga.

Here's my situation. I have an area about 15' x 20' that I'd like to have complete coverage with green groundcover, something hardy enough fill in completely, thick enough to hide the constant litter of nearby oak trees but thin enough to keep the look of a flat, hugging ground cover instead of short plants, so no more than 6-8 inches. Those trees, plus a large sycamore, are to the west of this area, which has southwestern exposure. This means that from about mid May to mid July it is in bright shade during most of the day but in the hottest months of the year when the sun is lower in the sky, late August to October, it gets very strong full sun. The soil is very sandy loam, exceptionally fast draining. There will be a drip system with 1/2" inline emitters spaced about 1 foot apart. So it has to be tough, green, thick and dense, and able to thrive in direct sun or bright shade. Ivy seems to fit that desciption. I wouldn't use algerian ivy, I've got some legacy algerian on two chain link fences on my lot and, like most people, I hate it. This would be some small leaved English ivy cultivar.

Any suggestions besides lectures about invasiveness would be welcome.

Comments (25)