SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leprechaura1

Home Insurance Question

Hey guys! My husband and I just purchased a new home, and are getting ready to move in. I have been lurking here for design ideas for awhile :) and decided to crowd-source some opinions on an issue we just ran into.

The house we bought needs a fair amount of cosmetic work since it is an older home to begin with, and has been used as a rental for the past several years. There was a lease on the house that ended about 45 days after our purchase, and we can now move in and start doing construction on Wednesday.

Nationwide had insured the home, and then about a week ago, did an unannounced inspection and decided that the home is not insurable because of some issues on the outside. A tree has branches touching the roof, there is debris in the backyard, a fence is collapsing, things like that. The home's foundation/roof/walls are all fine. They did not tell us about the inspection or any of the problems, but just sent us a refund check in the mail and said the insurance was canceled.

I cannot do anything today (Memorial day, and I already tried - no underwriters in the office) but I am gearing up for a conversation with them tomorrow. We would prefer not to find another insurance company, and we plan to fix all of these things once we move in anyway. If anyone from Nationwide had said, "hey we won't insure this as is," we would have gone over there right away and started doing the work. We didn't because we were waiting to start construction until the tenant was out. But Nationwide never gave us an option for input! Just, bam - policy canceled.

Has anyone gone through something like this when buying a house that needed rehabbing? Are there some magic phrases I can say tomorrow when I talk to them to get them to give us time to fix the issues before canceling the insurance?

Advice/similar stories much desired.

Thank you!

Comments (19)