SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minaloyitaly

Farrow & Ball Estate Eggshell for kitchen cabinets

MinaLoy
7 years ago

We
have decided to paint our own kitchen cabinet doors. A carpenter is making the doors for ikea bases. They are made of poplar wood and we will either paint them ourselves or ask the
carpenter to paint them (he usually uses a brush whereas I've seen mini-rollers recommended for this). The consensus seems to
be that Eggshell is the best finish for doors and having seen other furniture in this finish I love the look.

We are in Italy where the choice of brands with an eggshell finish is limited, but we are near to a Farrow & Ball stockist, and I love their colours. But doing a bit of internet research I've discovered lots of negativity surrounding F&B estate eggshell, mainly that it's not as good as it used to be since it was reformulated. However, many bespoke kitchen companies and cabinet makers (inthe UK at least) are still using this paint, which (wrongly?) makes me think that it can't be that bad...

So, bearing in mind that other brands are hard to obtain/would be significantly more expensive as they'd have to be shipped internationally, my questions are:

- Is F&B a really bad choice for kitchen cupboards? Or just not the best choice/not as good as it used to be? Has anyone used it for this purpose since the reformulation who can give some feedback on how it's holding up?

- Are there any tricks we can use to ensure a better finish/make it more hardwearing? E.g. I'm assuming we should apply a primer first, and aim for 3 coats of F&B. I wouldn't want to apply a varnish as such as it defeats the point of the nice finish, but I saw that this company http://touchwoodkitchen.co.uk/services/painted-kitchens/ mixes in clear varnish for the 3rd coat... Would the exterior eggshell be more robust or are there reasons why it can't be used inside?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments (46)