SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Literally exploded on the counter!!!

laceyvail 6A, WV
7 years ago

This morning I had just put a fried egg on my plate on the counter (a blue Duralex plate) and walked to the other side of my small kitchen when that plate exploded. Not broke, but exploded sending glass everywhere--all over the counters, into the cats' dishes, onto and into the stove, into the sink. It took me over an hour to clean everything up and make a new breakfast.

If it had happened 3 second earlier, I would have been right next to it. Three seconds later and the plate would have been in my hand as I carried it into the dining area.

I bought the 6 dinner plates, 6 salad plates and 6 bowls about 3 years ago from Cooks Catalog. When I called the Duralex US distributer, the Customer Service Rep said they had never carried the blue plates and had no control over where a company had bought the plates I had. Too bad, so sad. And she admitted she had a glass explode in her cabinet.

So I have no recourse. Of course, I took all the rest of them out of the house and will send them to the dump, not the second hand. What horrifies me is that there was no way to know that this glass ware can explode for no reason whatsoever. Yes, I understood that if it broke, it would break into a million pieces. But that it would explode for no reason? No warning.

Don't ever buy Duralex!

Comments (49)