SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Three Rogue Valley pink mystery roses to ID

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi folks

As usual each year, I'm trying to identify the mystery roses I got from Rogue Valley. I think I have an ID for two more antique types that already bloomed, but these look more modern. Two of them are thornless which narrows down the search considerably among what RV has in stock, and only the third is strongly fragrant (to my nose).

The first is thornless, mildly pleasant fragrance, and fully double. Among the pink thornless options, my first guess would be Pink-a-Boo, but the long canes look suspiciously like a climber or rambler. I'm hoping it's not climbing Pinkie again since I simply cannot overwinter that rose even though I can keep teas and other fussy-pants roses alive. The only other thornless rose in the range of blooms like this is Therese Bugnet, and I don't see the rugose nature of the leaves on this one.

Here are the canes in a whole band shot - a bit fuzzy as my camera seems to think the table is the focus of this shot:

RV pink mystery #2 is quite thorny, quite double (not yet fully open) and absolutely no fragrance to my nose. Vaguely leafy but that's it, even with my nose straight in the blooms. There were quite a few of RV's pink options that fit this description, but the one that HMF listed as "armed with thorns" was Nymphe Egeria.

Here is a shot of the thorough thorns on this one. There are so many pink double non-fragrant roses available that the alternate list is fairly long: Armada (but it usually has an apricot cast), Cotton Candy, Frau Eva Schubert, Hermosa, Mme. Carolyn Testout (but mine isn't this thorny usually), Morey's Pink, and maybe even Old Blush. Those were the medium pink ones, and I couldn't find any likely suspects under the "light pink" options.

The third is thornless again and highly fragrant - I get a strong "old rose" damask smell and if I can smell it, it's quite fragrant. The only candidate I can see available in stock from RV is Zephirine Drouhin, and I think she tends to have this loosely double look.

Here is the whole band shot with the cane and flower:

Lastly, here's a shot of the first and third flowers together, the first on the left (both of the thornless ones). I don't think they're the same rose, since #1 is much more double than #3 even accounting for variations in the first blooms on a plant. Also, the petals roll differently between the two roses.

I welcome your input to help me sort these out, particularly the #2 one that's so like a lot of modern pink roses. Any help would be welcome as I'm not good at this kind of ID.
Thanks

Cynthia

Comments (11)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler