SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbear_15

"Rules"/Distance between couch and great room built-ins

kbear_15
8 years ago

*I posted this under home decorating before realizing there was a furniture forum, so this is a double post.

I need a small sofa for my small great room. Eventually, I hope to have built-ins on either side of the fireplace (cabinets with doors at the bottom - to store board games, etc and not be out on display; and a shelf or two above them for dvds, books, etc. TV on a shelf to the left of the fireplace). See picture below.

The width of the wall for the built-ins is 48''W on each side of the fireplace. I was hoping to have ~16'' deep cabinets and ~11-12'' deep open shelving on top. If the cabinets were 16'' deep, I assume I'd have 3 cabinet doors.

The width of the wall where I plan to put my couch is 130''W. I am trying to figure out the biggest width sofa that I can safely put in the room. I am not interested in a love seat - I want a 3 seat couch. (Across the couch I plan to have 2 small chairs for additional seating and possibly a storage ottoman with reversible tray to act as a table, additional seating, place to raise legs, etc).

Assuming there are 16'' deep cabinets, if I were to open a door, that'd take up 32'' of space along the 130'' wall. I'd need additional space to access the cabinets and get things in/out. How much space do I need? My question is what is the minimum space needed between the "built-ins" and my couch? (This will help determine the maximum sized couch to buy). Right now I am considering 77-82''W couch.

on a side note - any recommended, well constructed, comfortable 3 cushion or 1 cushion couches in this width? Any sketches/drawings or recommendations for built-ins would be welcome as well.

Thank you!

Comments (4)