SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mchaney1

Help with Family Room ideas with chair rail & built-in bookcase

mchaney1
15 years ago

I have been an avid reader of this forum and have received a lot of ideas. But I need some more specific ideas this time.

We are planning to build built-in bookcases on top of the cabinets in the far end of the family room. We will stain the shelves to match the cabinet and probably run crown molding along the top of the shelves and over the fireplace.

We are also thinking of putting white painted chair rail (at height of the cabinets) and running that around the entire room. I want to do that because the room is too dark and I want to paint the top section an off-white color to lighten the room. We are planning keep the bottom color SW Roycroft Adobe.

My questions are:

1. Do you think that will look good? I am concerned about putting the chair rail up against the dark stained cabinets.

2. What top color would you recommend? Any suggestions for SW off-whites that would look good?

3. Do you think we could put white crown molding on the other 3 walls (the bookcases will have stained crown on them)?

4. Any other ideas?

p.s. We also plan to put a lighted ceiling fan and some recessed lights in the room.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Melissa

{{!gwi}}

Comments (43)