SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Can you help design built-in cabinets for great room?

ontariomom
8 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are trying to design the built-ins that will go on either side of our fireplace. We are ordering them from Scherr's so no KD there as they are RTA cabinets. I posted this question on the weekend on the home decorating forum, but not much response there as my question is more to do with cabinet design which kitchen types specialize in. Do you have comments on the function or form of the below plan? The floor plan of the space follows.

The plates on the cabinet are Danish plates that I have a large collection of, I will also be displaying some figurines (Hummel figures mostly) in between the plates. Here is a sample of the plate (ignore the grey sample beside the plate).

The grey shade area on the built-ins is for either metal mesh or speaker cloth so we can use that space to store some speakers and allow the components to cool. We are leaning towards painted metal mesh if we can find it.

CEDIA Award Runner Up "Best Media Room under £15k" · More Info

We plan to have the tilt down drawers below the TV cabinet and on the opposite side as well. We show them without handles as we figured they could be pushed open with those magnetic catches. When we drew them with handles and the speaker cloth, the handle looked crowded. Here is what we mean by the tilt downs for the components.

Custom AV Unit · More Info

We plan on bi-fold doors for the TV cabinet and the matching one on the other side of the fireplace.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have. The cabinets will be painted a warm off-white (SW Alabaster).

Carol

Comments (17)