SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbear_15

Need help with built-in bookcases with bench in between

kbear_15
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

In my small study, I want to put in tall bookcases on either side of the window and have a bench along the entire window/between the book cases. Further, I would like the bench to have storage, specifically serve as my filing cabinet (so hold all my files). However, there is an HVAC floor vent where the bench would go. I can't relocate the vent....

Here is a sample inspiration photo of what I'm picturing (not exact, but similar):

This is what I have to work with/my actual room:

1. To the right of the window: 28 7/8'' wide between window trim/wall

2. To the left of the window: 28 3/4'' wide between window trim/wall

3. The distance the bench would be: (The entire width span of the window trim): 67 1/4''

4. Distance from the floor to the bottom of the window trim: 21 3/16''

5. Floor vent is 11.5'' long x 5.5'' wide. It begins approximately 31'' to the right of the window trim/darker bookcase.

6. Distance from floor to the very top of window trim: 90 1/2'' (have 9ft ceilings)

Picture of how room looks now & floor vent to help visualize (sorry for the mess!)

The plan I have come up with is the following: (based on the fact I have a very limited budget and need to do a DIY):

1. I'd remove shoemold and baseboards where bookcases would go. I'd "hack/modify"/ use 1 Ikea Brusali bookcase on each side of the window (each bookcase having dimensions: Width: 26 3/8 "; Depth: 13 "; Height: 74 3/4 "). It's not as wide as the wall - so I'd fill in leftover spaces with filler trim. I'd also build it up slightly from the bottom so baseboards look continuous and it makes them look "built-in". I"d also consider ordering a 3rd bookcase to cut from to add extra height on each side - ending either where the top window trim ends, or go up to the ceiling. I"d also want to add some type of crown molding at the top of the bookcase.

2. My idea of how the bench would store files:

If the bookcase was ~13'' deep, I'd probably want the bench ~18'' deep.

3. Because of the HVAC floor vent, I'd build the bench with legs and put a deflector on the HVAC vent (such as the one below, or something similar):

Thus, the bottom of the bench would start just above the deflector (& no baseboard/shoe mold would be along the bench (it'd be open under it); bench would not look "built-in" persay, but would fit the width perfectly between the book shelves).

Based on the above plan - any foreseeable issues, problems I haven't thought of? How doable is this? Is there an easier way to go about doing this? (that is not going to considerably raise the cost)? how high can i build the bench for the bottom of it to be above the deflector and for it to not look silly?

Would you have bookcase stop at the top of the window trim or go all the way to the ceiling?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (29)