SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

Spring at last!!! Thinking of spring/summer eating

agmss15
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I know I know you are all way ahead of me in the start of the planting/growing/bbqing/swimming/ generally enjoyable weather season. But this is Maine - so a nice warm spells were followed by days in 40s and nights in the 20s complete with snow flurries. And then more of the same. So today - a gorgeous spring day is precious even with the first black flies.

Today was an annual family tradition of the Fedco tree sale - an exercise in delayed gratification and imaginary gardens and meals. No insects, groundhogs or deer in imaginary gardens.

I took my mom - who is attempting somewhat in vain to make her garden smaller. She is 75 and wants to spend more of her limited energy in her studio. She picked up 5 elderberries to plant in her veggie garden - she wants to make syrup and tincture. She also got some herbs, currant tomatoes, leeks and onions.

I was pretty good this year. I bought four blueberry bushes - bringing my total to 12. Some leeks, onions, a thai pepper and a yellow foxglove. I did not buy any artichoke plants this year - expensive, beautiful and unpredictible here. I was tempted by some apples, asparagus, strawberries. But that will have to wait until I have prepared areas for them.

My tomato seedlings spent the day in a cold frame without looking stressed and miserable for the first time. Peppers and basil won't go out for at least two more weeks. The only food I have harvested so far are chives, overwintered leeks, a few carrots and daylily shoots. But I have peas, radishes, spinach, parsley, cilantro and lettuce planted.

Looking forward to summer gardening and eating.... Happy spring!

Comment (1)