Need sides to go with high protein/lower carb diet
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (26)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
9 lbs gone in 3 weeks with High Carb diet!
Comments (12)HI Lydia, Thanks for the great tip. I have ordered the book and am very excited about your results. I have always found diets that severely limited bread intake never worked well for me. I am inspired by your weight loss considering you also have thyroid problems. (I am recovering from a total hysterectomy and have gained 24lbs in 3months I am also in surgical menopause, and was very despondent because I thought I just couldnt lose weight). I will keep you all posted on my progress because trust me, if I can lose weight, anyone can....See MoreI'm in Baking School and on the High Carb Diet!!!
Comments (33)Michael, we never did get to do croissants which were on the schedule. Our teacher wasnÂt feeling up to snuff with the remains of a cold, and we asked a lot, a LOT, of questions. She is teaching a class later  a one day-er  on breakfast pastries that a few of our group are taking. I think that might be going into dangerous ground for me. As much as I like them, I donÂt have the metabolism to handle a batch of them. However, for those of you who are thinking of making them, she suggested taking them to the point of final rise, wrap well and freeze, then take them out the night before, thaw in fridge, then take out in the a.m. for the final rise and baking. This way you CAN have one or two or eight fresh when you want them. Most baking does seem to require some advance thinking; otherwise thatÂs why god invented bakeriesÂfor the rest of us. Sally, where is your son studying? If we didnÂt travel so much, I would take more courses. LOL Free food!! (actually as a taxpayer, I kind of pay in advanceÂ) Annie, one day you two will be "mature" (that = older!!) and possibly live somewhere that has money for student education. ItÂs a shame about Michigan. Michelle, that apple pie is a snap. Basic (your fave) one unbaked crust pie crust shell in a 9" pan. 5 or so green apples, peeled, cored and sliced about the thickness of your little finger  well my little finger. Pile them into one good layer and add a good coating of brown sugar. Continue to pile high And then pat the streusel topping all over to coat the apples and seal them in. I didnÂt do a very good job at that as my streusel kept falling off. We also noticed that things were drying out as we made them in stages. The streusel was brown and white sugars, butter and walnuts, made in the KA. The pies that had the apples sealed in did a lot better, tho the pie I took home had apples that were still firm but cooked. I know one of us cut her apples much thicker than I would have, so mine might be ÂhersÂ. Bake and learn. ;-) As our teacher said, apple pies are darn cheap to make  her mother had 6 children to raise and feed and seemed to know fast and good pretty well! If anyone wants any of these recipes, feel free to send me your snail mail, as some are long and I donÂt know if I will have time to scan this week. I also have not played around with my scanner enough to know how well it does the written material. Maureen...See MoreIs anybody doing a low carb diet?
Comments (11)I have been on the "Fat to Skinny" diet which is 20 grams a day of carbs. I started the Monday after Thanksgiving..had no problems making it through Christmas and New Years. I was down 10 lbs. which seems a little slow for such a drastic diet.. but I am also hypothyroid. Last weekend I went to a birthday party dinner in which everything there was high carb.. so I ate that one meal and then went back to my 20 carbs a day diet. Weighed myself that Monday and had gained 5 lbs! Now I remember that low carb doesn't work well for me. I don't know why I thought it would work this time. I'm sticking to the plan this week since it does keep me away from sweets... but starting next week I'll start a higher carb diet that I had good results with in the past (I had to quit that because I had a bad case of systemic candida from antibiotics). The Fat to Skinny website does have some good informative videos and recipes. Good luck! Here is a link that might be useful: Fat to Skinny forum...See MoreLOOKING for: Vegetarian High Protein Sides
Comments (11)This makes a lot but it reheats fine in the microwave. THREE-GRAIN PILAF 1/ 2 cup whole barley 1 cup boiling water 2 tsp. butter 1/ 2 lb. fresh mushrooms , sliced 3/ 4 tsp. lemon juice 1 large egg 3/ 4 cup kasha (toasted buckwheat groats) 1 Tbs. vegetable oil 3/ 4 cup long-grain white rice 2 medium onions, chopped 1 large clove garlic, minced 3 cups beef broth or stock (can use vegetable broth) 1/ 4 chopped fresh parsley Salt & pepper Put the barley in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Let soak for 1 to 1 1/ 2 hours. Drain and set aside. Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over moderately high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute, stirring occasionally, until browned. If the pan seems too dry, add a Tbs. of water to encourage the cooking. The mushrooms will be dry at first but then release their juices. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the lemon juice; reserve. In a small bowl, stir the egg with a fork. Stir in the kasha until coated and then dump into the pan you just used. Stir constantly over moderately high heat until dry and lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn out onto a plate and reserve. Spoon the vegetable oil into the same pan and stir in the white rice. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring, to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer. Add the drained barley, kasha and mushrooms to the pan. Add the beef broth and bring to a boil, stirring, over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and simmer, stirring gently once or twice, until the grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in the parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot. Makes 10 servings of slightly under 1 cup each....See More- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

FRONT YARD IDEAS10 Ideas for a Front-Yard Edible Garden Your Neighbors Will Love
Choosing attractive, well-mannered plants and sharing the bounty will go a long way toward keeping the peace
Full Story
HOME TECH3 Kitchen Contraptions You Won’t Believe
Pizza hot from the printer, anyone? These cooking gadgets harness imagination and high tech — and have price tags to match
Full Story
STORAGE5 Tips for Lightening Your Closet’s Load
Create more space for clothes that make you look and feel good by learning to let go
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN10 Smashing Black Kitchens
Looking for something different from an all-white kitchen? Think about going stylishly dark instead
Full Story
LIFE12 Effective Strategies to Help You Sleep
End the nightmare of tossing and turning at bedtime with these tips for letting go and drifting off
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDRemake Your Backyard Into a Mini Farm
You can get a taste of country life by line-drying your laundry, growing some produce or going whole hog with the critters
Full Story
HOLIDAYS10 Tips for a Calm, Heartfelt Thanksgiving
Go easy on yourself this year and allow some breathing room to enjoy the holiday
Full Story
HOME GYMSHouzz Call: Show Us Your Home Gym or Exercise Space
Whether you have a fully devoted room with all the dumbbells and whistles or a bedroom corner, we want to see how fitness fits in your house
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNLove to Bake? Try These 13 Ideas for a Better Baker's Kitchen
Whether you dabble in devil's food cake or are bidding for a bake-off title, these kitchen ideas will boost your baking experience
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
gardengrlz