SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msazadi

I'm in Baking School and on the High Carb Diet!!!

msazadi
16 years ago

Wow what a couple of days IÂve hadÂGood Days!! IÂm taking a 3 day baking class at the Community College and we are baking our bippys off. (Actually nothing is coming offÂbut I suspect we may have added a pound or two in the two days.)

I didnÂt take my cameraÂdarn, Âbut things go so fast that we can barely stuff the first goodie into ourselves before thereÂs another one.

First day we made piecrust by handÂwith CriscoÂ;-( Âbut I have to say, I now have the feel of the mix of flour and fat. Most of ours didnÂt roll out as nice looking as our teacherÂs except for one woman we swear is a ringer. Says she doesnÂt bake but if not, she has the hands. Our edge pinching again resulted in some creative looking shells. They got wrapped yesterday and plunked into the huge walk in freezer to be baked as Candy Apple Pies tomorrow. Not liking apple pie, IÂm not over anxious on that one.

We also made pate au chou and baked it as cream puff rounds and mini eclairs. Another recipe that was easy to make but watching us with our piping bags was another laugh session. I wasnÂt bothered because when I make them I am just as happy to plunk them down with a spoon and make plain old rounds. My partner and I had very creative shapes. Just holding the pastry bag was a learning experience for me.

After lunch one woman said she'd never quite 'got' madeleines Oh, says our teacher, why don't we make some!! YES!!! Well, measure, weigh and mix and then into the pans. There were some deep sighs that would have made Proust happy. I brought 6 home and Dick got 1....

Our teacher demoÂd baguettes and we each took home 2 or 3. I gave two to a friend and kept one which partially became melted cheese on toast for tonightÂs dinner. I am still full from the items we made today. I am carbÂd out in a soothing way!

Comments (33)