SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phobie_privett

Please help me update my LR

Phobie Privett
8 years ago

I've been slowing attempting to transition my home from traditional/Tuscan to more transitional/pottery barn style. My home has LOTS of stained wood and everything feels very "brown". I'm longing to lighten things up and modernize. All couches, chairs and coffee table must stay.

My first inclination is to find a jute or sisal rug to replace the dark one I have now, but I fear this may make everything bland. I'd like things to feel casual, but polished. I prefer neutral colors with lots of textures, but am okay with a little color thrown in.

I was also considering painting the end tables black. (Although, I could purchase new...if I could only find something I liked). I think this would only work if I changed out the rug, otherwise, it will make things even darker than they already are. I'd also like to change out the lamps to something less traditional and the couch pillows to a lighter shade.

Sorry for the quality of the pics. It is terribly hard to get good pics with my lighting. I would appreciate any and all advice! TIA!

Comments (20)