SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guest016548

5-1-1 mix is beginning to decompose after 1.5 months - normal?

Larry (Los Angeles, 10a, Sunset Zone 19)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

A month and a half ago I planted a dwarf lemon tree in a 25 gal pot in 5-1-1 mix (small fir bark screened to 1/2", plus coarse perlite and peat moss). The mix, by the way, is performing great. I was pleasantly surprised - with all the nursery soil removed and some root pruning, I noticed only minimal transplant shock and started seeing new growth within 2 weeks. I recently decided to add some controlled release fert which I forgot to add when I first made the mix. As I was incorporating it into the first 3 inches of mix (around the edges), I noticed the mix seemed to be a finer than I remember and I could feel a bit of heat radiating despite the mix being wet. Is this normal? Maybe I didn't mix it well enough? The mix did contain sapwood, but no more than 5-8%. I also do recall some bags of fir bark being partially composted, while other bags were very had fresh bark with no bark dust. By the way, I'm only using synthetic fertilizers like FP 9-3-6 and Vigoro citrus CRF.

What is the general life expectancy of a 5-1-1 mix? I know this question has been asked before, but answers have ranged from 1 season (doesn't regular potting soil last that long?) to 4 years. What can do I to extend the life of my 5-1-1 mix?

Thanks,

FirstTime Gardener

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!