SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Cuisinart 1.5 qt. Ice Cream Freezer Problem

chas045
8 years ago

I recently acquired a used Cuisinart 1.5 qt. Ice Cream Freezer from Habitat Resale Stores. It appears to work properly. The freezer bowl does not appear to leak like I have heard that Kitchenaid units sometimes do. Unfortunately, I didn't check things out completely before I got supplies for perhaps three batches. I got some peaches that I believe will be very ripe tomorrow, but I had planned my first batch of 'Butter Brickle' for a day and a half ago.

My problem is that I haven't been able to get my first batch frozen. So I need some advise on determining my problem And also what to do with these peaches. For the peaches, I had been planning to cook some up and blend them while leaving some small chunks as an additive. If I can't solve my freezing problem very fast, how would you store them?

Back to my freezing problem. I had left the freezing bowl in my garage freezer for a week (Cuisinart suggests 6-22 hr. pre-freezing time), but didn't have the sense to check it before making my on line recipe for Butter Brickle. It is 2C of 1/2&1/2 and 2C Heavy Cream plus sugar etc. but no eggs. I note that the Cuisinart recipe book usually calls for 3 cup main liquids but mine is still under 1.5 quarts. It was in the refer for several hours until late evening.

Anyway, I found that my bowl didn't seem to be completely frozen; there was still a little liquid when shaken. I proceeded anyway and after 40 minutes without freezing, I gave up and stored the mix back in the refer. I assumed that my freezer must not be cold enough. It hadn't been defrosted for nearly a year and I had just recently noted extra ice build up by the door that indicated I would need a defrost soon. However, I checked the temp and it registered exactly zero °F on the only thermometer I had that read down that low. I did find that it read identically to a laboratory water bath thermometer at higher temps, so I suspect it is reasonably accurate.

I defrosted yesterday anyway, and rinsed off the outer coils and set the unit lower. I believe it is now running at -5 or less. I was now in a bit of a hurry. I think the bowl probably had 6 hr before I shook it around a little and noted that there was some liquid, but much was frozen and more seemed to be freezing with shaking. It got perhaps 3 or 4 more hours and while way less than 22 hrs, I put the mix in my freezer for three hours; stirred every hour. I hoped that this mix pre-freezing would make up for a rapid bowl freeze. It did help a little. I noted that after 10 min running, the mix was several degrees below zero. Nearing 20-30 minutes (when things should be done) , I could actually see what could be ice crystals, but again, it never thickened and by 30 minutes the temp was back up to 32. I put the mix back in the refer and went to bed a second night without success.

Is a mix of 1/2 and 1/2 and heavy cream, a harder thing to freeze than lighter mixes? Something else I'm missing? Oh yeah, and thoughts on the peaches??

Comments (6)