SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starlightfarm

Disappointed in Cuisinart IceCream maker.. what did I do wrong?

starlightfarm
14 years ago

I was one of the lucky ones that took advantage of the Kohls sale on the Cuisinart IC makers.

I was SO excited!!! Froze my container for about 36 hours (sounded "solid"... no sloshing). I made my icecream mixture the night before and left it in the fridge so that it would be as cold as possible (maybe this is where the problem lies?). Put it in the IC machine this morning... mixed for 30 minutes and it was almost as runny as it was when I poured it in!!

Could it be because I mixed it up the night before? I have used this same recipe several times in my big salt/ice freezer and it is wonderful (our favorite).... always freezes great and the consistency for the leftovers is fabulous... it doesn't get rock hard. But I've never mixed it up and let it sit in the fridge over night.

The recipe has 3 raw egg yolks, 2/3c. sugar, 1/3c. cocoa powder, a big squirt of Hershey's choc syrup, 2c. heavy whipping cream, pinch salt... and I filled it up to the top with 1% milk.

I usually double the amounts for my bigger freezer (I've never made this small amount).... so in theory it should work.

Did it just not get cold enough? The canister was just beginning to thaw when I stopped it. After I dipped (poured) out the ice cream in individual containers to put in the freezer.... it was still semi-frozen, but I could hear it slushing around.

Am I going to have to try some new recipes? Any suggestions??

Comments (9)