SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

What if a room in a new build is unusable as designed?

texasgal47
8 years ago

My son has earnest money on an high end urban townhouse/condo. The laundry room is completely separate and is entered from a hall. The opening for the dryer vent & the electrical is immediately to the right as one enters that small room. The washer is designed to go on the left side of the dryer. The two machines should take the entire space on that right wall.

The problem is that a dryer would protrude past the door opening due to the shallow depth. An adult would have to walk sideways to enter the room with a dryer in place, even if the door were remounted to swing into the hall. This is a 4 story condo with the laundry on the 3rd floor so I don't know what the options are, if any, for moving the vent and outlets to the back wall. That placement would have been the optimal design. There's no room to move the door to the left. The brief email response to my son from the builder was that they followed the architect's design correctly so it stays. There are only two units to this condo, with a huge price decrease, as it's been unsold for over a year and a half. In view of the price decrease, my son and his wife are considering stacking the w/d in the corner, even though this would not be their preference. I'm wondering what usually happens in these types of situation and any suggestions I can pass on to my son. He would appreciate your feedback. The inspector's written report has not been received yet but his comments did not include any huge issues.

Comments (17)