SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbl_ge

Does anyone want to help us design our back deck/related landscape?

pbl_ge
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi! I've posted here in the past and gotten amazing help. I'm hoping you folks can help out again, as neither my hubby nor I are having a lot of luck coming up with a good vision for this area. We have a large-ish back deck that was stupidly built right by the driveway, because who doesn't want to stare at the driveway (and the neighbors' back door) with their evening cocktails? Hubby built a better deck single-handedly (because he rocks) behind the garage, so we want to lose some of the useless decking here. Oh, and it's also getting dangerously unstable (you can see how uneven it is in the pics), so this is project #1 for the summer.
As you see in the sketch below, this is a big rhombus. The concrete for the driveway makes a large diagonal line from the garage to where the deck connects to the house. The roof overhang covers an area of about 7' x 12'. There's also a pretty columnar crabapple for which the current deck has a cutout. It's a nice tree, but it makes a big mess, so I think we'd be open to ditching it. Further out you can see that we have a sparse flagstone path (I think folks here had mixed feelings about those, but we've really enjoyed it), and we'll extend that to wherever the steps of the deck end.
The big constraint is that we need all this to be fenced in with a decent sized gate. You can see the makeshift, temporary one in the photos. That's to keep the dog in. Anyone who has advice about how to do that relatively cheaply and attractively (no chain link), please speak up, as this is our biggest stumbling block. Also, hubby is thinking that the fence should be moved in a foot or two from the concrete so that it's easier to maneuver cars.
So what would you do with this area, given those constraints? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)