SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
segbrown_gw

Before I call my landscape designer back ....

segbrown
17 years ago

... is there anything I need to address?

I have an entire plan, but I definitely am not sure about the backyard yet. I like the frontyard, but I wanted to bounce it off some knowledgeable people, since I definitely am NOT knowledgeable, and we're doing the front before the back.

{{gwi:41927}}

Unfortunately, this is the best image I have of the plan, so I'll have to help with plant names. From the top left (the purplish thing) = diabolo ninebark, red lake currant, yaku jima maidengrass next to ac unit, slowmound mugo pine, ? 2 euonymus (I think), 3 feather reed grass, thunderchild crabapple on corner

Front of house = globe spruce (blue plants in front of window), red flower carpet shrub roses in front of those. Blood grass by step. It's the same on the other side of the porch. Tree on corner = crimson cloud hawthorn.

In courtyard, continuing clockwise = carol mackie daphne, clematis on trellis, gold euonymus, knock out rose, feather reed grass

on other side of garage and down driveway = burning bush, white bud mugo, 2 dwarf american cranberries, 3 tannenbaum mugo

end of driveway = 3 snowmound spirea, 3 hardy fountain grass (although I see 5), slowmound mugo, all under an autumn blaze maple clump

Existing are an ash tree on the left and a large locust on the right, and a weird little island with a dwarf spruce and a lightpost.

{{gwi:41928}}

{{gwi:41929}}

The house faces east. In summer, there is lots of shade in the front. The south side gets uninterrupted sun. The courtyard thingy gets intense sun part of the day on the north wall, not much on the south wall. Which is one of my questions -- does the clematis need sun over there?

I'm also not sure about the whole tree thing going on at the driveway. I'm not sure I can picture that. That side of the yard is (almost dead) grass right now, and I'd like to get rid of it and bump out the driveway, but something about a tree there seems odd.

In addition, what are the realistic maintenance needs for this type of landscape? There are some planting beds around the front, too, and I guess I can choose how high maintenance those should be.

Overall, it seems to me like a nice mixture of color and texture, but as I said, I'm new at this. I've had yards before, but never had anyone design one; I just took what I got. Will I be happy??? (just kidding)

Any other critique welcome. The concrete guy is coming to measure and start tearing out tomorrow -- I am pretty set with the hardscape part, but if anyone sees anything glaring, thanks in advance!

Comments (23)