SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angc138

Radish seedlings stems yellowing (leaves still green)

Ang C
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hey guys! Hope you're all doing great.

I'm totally new to any kind of gardening and recently thought I'd try growing some plants in containers (no outdoor space and no balcony/terrace, unfortunately).

My Sparkler radish seedlings sprouted but haven't grown much, and in the last day or two I've also noticed that the stems are yellowing. The stems were formerly dark pinkish and are now becoming pale yellow and a couple of them are becoming sorta bendy (please see attached picture). Is this normal? And if not, how do I fix it? I searched the forums for guidance on this problem, but most people who have posted about this problem seem to have leaves also yellowing, not just the stems (in my case it's just the stems that are yellowing).

I gather from reading GardenWeb forums that I need to thin out the seedlings, but I thought that that should happen only after the first true leaves grow? If I'm not mistaken, these seedlings are still at the cotyledon-only stage right now.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Sorry for the newbie questions!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, these are in an east-facing window, and I have a compact fluorescent bulb (daylight color) shining on them too. The seedlings are in seed-starting mix and I added in a very small amount of very diluted fertilizer.

Comment