SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waterloo360t

Kitchen renovation - are we missing something?

waterloo360t
8 years ago

My lovely wife and I (I don't feel I have earned the right to use the Gardenweb "DW") have been talking about redoing our kitchen for 3-4 years now and have finally started the process.

We have had discussions with three kitchen cabinet companies, have a quote from one and waiting for quotes from the other two. A fair amount of time has been spent on the layout over Saturday and Sunday morning coffee. I am afraid that we have been so focused on this basic layout that we are missing something. The designers have been doing a good job at listening to us but offering little advice.

The kitchen itself is part of a great room that is 38' long and 17'3" wide. The kitchen is along the south 17'3" wall and has a small 5'7" return. The east wall is all glass, the west wall has a doorway that butts up against the 5'7" return. The island is 9'6" x 48".

We have somewhat decided on a 48" range (too big?) and a 42" counter depth fridge. The drawings show an under counter microwave but that is supposed to be a steam oven that we are unsure we want to pay for or give up the cabinet space.

We don't think we have room for a prep sink and are thinking of two faucets on a large double sink. Not sure about this.

We will be moving the dishwasher to the left of the sink (the drawing shows the current location).

I hate how the designer has empty and blind corners. That will have to change. Corners are never efficient but we certainly don't want to completely lose the space.

We don't like the coffee station they are currently showing. We want to change this into an "appliance garage" with doors that open and slide back in, and the Jura coffee machine will go on a pull out tray. The cabinet will have to be approx 20" deep to fit the machine.

Any thoughts, advice and help would be appreciated!

And thanks to everyone that has contributed to all the other threads here. We have learned so much from all the members.

Here are the drawings. Hope you can read them.

And here is the current kitchen.

Comments (9)