SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
middlemike

Surely I'm missing something regarding green/brown ratio

middlemike
15 years ago

Hi everybody!

Ok, I took the plunge and bought a composting bin. We live in a nice suburban neighborhood so I figured that a bin was the way to go as opposed to dumping stuff on the ground directly. Fussy homeowners associations (a pox on them all) tend to look down on such things as open piles of kitchen and yard waste.

My question is this. I see a lot about browns/greens and have a fairly good understanding of what they are conceptually, however, whenever I see the "add this much" ratios I never quite understand them. 30:1, 25:1, whatever, is that by volume, by weight or by some other mysterious factor? If say were talking 30:1, does that mean I need to add 30 times more browns by volume than greens, or does it break down differently than that? I ask because it is late spring going on summer and while we have some browns (brown paper bags, cardboard, dried grass) itÂs not like weÂre awash in dead leaves at this point. It seems odd to me to see so many people talk about daily runs from the kitchen with kitchen waste, which is mostly "greens" if it is a by-volume proposition. An inch of green would require what, 30 inches of leaves by that standard? Meaning weÂd have a full bin with one inch of green and the rest as leaves/straw? That doesnÂt make sense to me really. Does a particular type of "brown" add more "brown" than another? If so is there a list somewhere (I've seen the green list, but never a brown list). Surely IÂm missing something?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!