SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seebuyfly

recessed lighting trim, efficiency [am I missing something?]

SeeBuyFly
12 years ago

I've been reading up on recessed lighting trim. I fully understand that black shows up more than white when the light is off (assuming the ceiling is white and not black), but white shows up more (gives off more glare) than black when the light is on. There is an apparently magic material called Alzak that makes the lights less obtrusive whether off or on.

But I feel like I'm missing something. Who cares about glare from the lights? If you look up at the ceiling, you expect to see lights. It's just like if you look up at the sun, you'll go blind, which is why smart people don't do it.

Now high efficiency is a desirable goal. I want to get the most lighting out of the fixture for a given wattage, perhaps allowing me to use a lower wattage light bulb. To me, glare shows that some diffuse light is coming out of the fixture, which is less wasteful than absorbing that diffuse light. It may be "task lighting", but the kitchen is not a theater stage; I don't need one spot illuminated while the rest of the room is pitch dark!

So what am I missing---why shouldn't I use white trim? And what actual advantage does Alzak offer?

Please set me straight.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm