SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kkerper13

Newbie to Landscaping/garden tending in Connecticut

Katie K
8 years ago

Hello Gardners of New England,

Thank you in advance for all of your tips and suggestions, as I'm sure I will be constantly asking questions. Last April I moved in with my boyfriend on a 3 acre lot on top of a hill surrounded by woods where most of our yard is sloping down one side of the hill or another. The soil is very rocky and uneven and the beds and yard has been untended for 2-3 years. Last year I did some general cleanup and started 2 raised vegetable beds but am feeling overwhelmed by the yard project this year. I have multiple issues that I would like to resolve and any advice/ experience you could offer would be appreciated.

Issue number 1- We received some poor advice on how mulching the leaves that fell over the fall would help the grass grow back more lush but it appears that we have smothered it because it all seems to be dead and the grass itself blows away when I'm using the leaf blower to clean out the newly discovered beds lining the yard. How can I rehab the grass? Overseeding? Or would it be better to start from scratch? I have already aerated the lawn in the hopes that it will bring more water into the ground and promote spring growth but I'm not sure what my next step should be.

Which brings me to issue 2- Until this weekend, I didn't know that we had beds that surrounded our lawn property because they were covered by overgrown brush, saplings, leaves (sooo many leaves) and A LOT of vines. I'd like to pull it all and start from scratch in the beds. Is my only option manually pulling out all the vines by the roots and digging out the bushes with a shovel? What do I do to keep the saplings and vines from coming back?

Issue 3- we have so many leaves on the property and last year we took the lazy way out and blew them all back into the wooded area. Is this correct approach? Or should we be disposing of them via fire or any other method? If so, what are other options?

Again thank you all in advance for your thoughts, tips and suggestions. I've included some pictures I took of the property last year (don't mind the deck and gazebo, that's on the honey-do list to update this summer as well). I will try to get new ones this upcoming weekend.

-Katie

Comments (23)