SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whita2a6

Newbie with a few questions...

whita2a6
8 years ago

Hello all,

I live in Tallahassee, Florida and I am wanting to start growing an organic produce garden, herb garden, as well as purchasing a few animals. As a beginner, I have quite a few questions. Thank you in advance.

On the North Florida Gardening calendar, it reads "squash,summer. March-April and August-Sept."

Does this mean that I should plant in March, and again in April, August and September?

Can I plant the Squash in the same plot?

Do I need weed mat, and do they make organic weed mat?

I would like to plant in plastic baby pools. I have read that I will need to drill holes in the bottom for draining, but is that enough or will I need to elevate the pool?

Are there certain plants that cannot be planted in the same plot? (I.e. when it reads "peppers", can all peppers be planted together?)

On the Gardening Calendar for my area, the only fruit listed is strawberries. What other fruits can be planted here?

Can I plant flowers and greenery in the same plot with produce?

I particularly would love to plant ginger and avocados, but they were not listed on the Gardening Calendar. Is it possible to grow them in my area?

Any tips for creating rich organic soil and keeping bugs, birds and others out of my garden?

I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Comments (4)