SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skeelo

Newbie to SFG... a few questions

skeelo
17 years ago

I am completely new to gardening and I am pretty excited. I have read the entire book and got started today. My visit to Home Depot went well in that I got two bags of Vermiculite (8 cubic ft total) for $4.00! I am using the recipe from the book as if I were going to be making 3 4x4 boxes. I think I am going to start with 2 boxes and save the left over. I have never done any composting so I figured I would buy 5 different types and mix them. That is when I ran into the problems. The only compost that I could find was cow manure compost. That was 40lb bag and gave no indication of how many cubic ft it was. So, I only bought one. I couldn't find any other compost. Only potting soil mixtures. The book has a few examples of mushroom compost, worm castings, humus, and something called posey power soil builder. I got the peat moss too. But where do I find other types of compost? Anyone have any suggestions. Secondly, I was going to put my boxes over a slab of cement (part of the patio that isn't covered). It will get 6-7 hours of morning sunlight and be shaded during the warmer afternoon hours. Any help of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!