SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Eggplant Lasagna tips

Yesterday was Kevin's birthday, and so I decided to make eggplant lasagna for him, since I had bought eggplant at the Indian market on Sunday, plus some fresh mozzarella and homemade burrata at the Farmers' Market. I wanted to use the fresh cheeses as soon as possible, but I did not want to make pizza, since I had that for lunch yesterday. Anyway, I sliced the eggplant, salted it and let it drain, and then brushed it with oil and baked the slices for about 25 minutes in the oven, or until soft. Then I sprinkled them with a little bit of Panko, for extra texture. I also made a batch of pasta dough for the lasagna and discovered that I was out of semolina flour (how did that happen?) and substituted whole wheat flour for that part of it, which made the dough a bit dry, and so I had to add a bit of water to it. I also collected herbs from the back yard - parsley, basil, and oregano and decided that to save time, I would use an emergency jar of pasta sauce that I keep on hand. The pasta sauce, however, was covered with white mold, and it appeared that the jar had not been properly sealed at the factory, and so it was unusable. By this time, I decided that I did not have time to finish the dish before 9:00 (too late), and so I told Kevin he would have to go out on his birthday, and he took Bernard with him. I stayed home because I was tired by then and had leftover pizza from my lunch.

The point of this is - how should I prepare the eggplant lasagna? I've never combined them before, and I've never baked the eggplant before. I have several cans of 6-in-1 tomatoes and will make my own pasta sauce when I get home, but I still also have to make the lasagna noodles, as the pasta dough is languishing in the fridge, as are the herbs that I picked. I only cooked one large eggplant, but I made pasta dough using one cup of white flour, 1/3 cup whole wheat, and two eggs, plus a bit of water. I think that will make possibly more lasagna than I will need for the amount of eggplant, since it shrank quite a bit. Kevin had picked up more Mozzarella and some ricotta at Trader Joe's at lunch yesterday, and so I have plenty of cheese. I thought I had some Asiago (which I normally add), but I do not. I have plenty of Parmesan and sharp Provolone, however.

How would you assemble this dish, and what size pan would you use? When I make lasagna, I normally combine ricotta with Mozzarella and Asiago, along with some herbs and an egg for the filling, and I often use spinach instead of eggplant. I think I may have spinach in the freezer, but I don't think I will need that. Should there be a layer of Mozzarella on top? I generally do that when I make just the eggplant, but I do not use ricotta with eggplant, and this is what has me confused. I think I will have more lasagna than eggplant, and so I think I will need to use some of the ricotta.

Comments (9)