SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monibucky

Compost help: Finished compost is low in nitrogen?

monibucky
8 years ago

Hey all,

I have been happily composting on our property for over a year and just recently used a home soil testing kit to see what kind of nutrients are in the finished compost. I was shocked to see the nitrogen result was very, very low (< trace). Can anybody offer any insight here?

A little background: We own a coffee shop, so the biggest bulk of our compost material is used coffee and tea grounds. This has always given us a very hot pile (130-150 degrees is the norm for the 2nd pile). We also add kitchen scraps, straw, shredded paper, coffee chaff, yard waste and any other browns we can get our hands on (the grounds also include a lot of paper filters). But the grounds keep coming every week and I often worry we don't have enough 'browns' to keep the ratio correct.

I would have expected our finished compost to be too high in nitrogen, not low. The compost never smells off, with the exception of the first pile, since many of the coffee grounds have begun to ferment before they arrive at our house and are a bit stinky. But by the time we turn the pile once, everything looks and smells fine. The finished product looks good, although after screening quite a bit of material is not broken down and goes back into the first pile. It is a deep dark color and looks great. It checks out very high in phosphorus and potassium, but very low in nitrogen. The pH came in surprisingly high also, but the test color was very dark and did not match any of the colors from the test kit. I went with 8, since it seemed to be the closest, but I wonder if the dark coffee grounds could have somehow "dyed" my result. What else could be making the compost so alkaline. (We have alkaline soils in general, but we don't add very much native soil to the compost pile).

Any ideas as to what might be happening? Could the soil test be inaccurate? (I tested soil in 5 different areas of the property and all came back with extremely low nitrogen. Plants seem to grow a bit slowly, but are otherwise looking healthy). Any help or insight is appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (51)

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

One thing about compost is that a lot of its nutrients are part of its structure and are released slowly. So it may not measure up to its actual content.

Also how does this test work? Do you soak a sample of it in water and then do a color test, or what? If you are using water, what kind - tap or distilled? Is the (presumably dark) color of the extract interfering with the test color? Also how do you measure the amount of compost to be used?

What are you doing with all this compost? If you're putting it on plants where it belongs, how are the plants growing? The proof is in the pudding.

I have only tested my compost once and it was for a research study comparing store bought and home made compost, and I used a real lab. I can tell you home made is generally superior to most composts you can buy.

• glib
    8 years ago

The home test is unreliable, and anyway the very act of composting loses typically half the nitrogen (and half the carbon, which is a worse outcome). No surprise here. If you want to keep your nitrogen, bury it.

• Related Discussions

Immature compost = Nitrogen Deficient?

Q

Comments (18)
    My compost started out primarily with a base of chopped up sagebrush, various weeds and other vegetation trimmings. Regular feeds were primarily kitchen waste (fruits, veggies, breads) and garden trimmings, along with some cardboard or paper. I then started adding some dry dog food and UCG. I've gotten to the point where I realize that my bin is so carbon-heavy (I wasn't sure about the make-up of the sagebrush) that I add 99% kitchen greens and only the urine and faeces-laden browns I use to line my rats' home. But those changes are all newer than this batch. I'm going to stay nitrogen-heavy with the feeds until my nose tells me to up the carbons. I know it looks dry, but it really isn't. It's hard to keep balance here in NV. It seems like an extra 1/4 cup of water flips the pile from dry to sopping. I used the one batch as mulch (actually did till it in just a tiny bit into the earth because the earth was too hard), but didn't plan on using all my compost as mulch. In retrospect, it does seem as if the compost may not be suspect #1, but I assume you can understand why I'm a bit gun shy. I do consider compost to be, primarily, a supply of organic matter to my sterile NV sand/silt/clay &quot;soil&quot;. I'm OK with that. What worried me is the idea that I was doing more harm than good! The site below does talk about how curing the compost is very important. Since my bin is continuous, it never gets to any final curing stage, and that's my fear. OK, so I'll ignore the results of the soil test. But what next? Just keep on keeping on, or make an adjustment to my system such as one of the three listed above? Thanks again for all the help. Here is a link that might be useful: CA on compost
    ...See More

Can low amb. temp. prevent compost heating up by adding Nitrogen?

Q

Comments (23)
    From the Mantis web page &quot;The Mantis ComposT-Twin dual-chamber composter holds almost 25 cubic feet of raw material&quot; that's 10 bushels in each chamber!&quot; 14 lbs X .29 is 4.06 lbs total Nitrogen that I added using just the lawn fertilizer. Compost density - Who knows? Assume it's 30% water, and the organic matter weighs almost nothing. The tumbler is now about half full, now that it settled about 50%. Water weighs 62.42 pounds/cubic foot. 62.42 X .3 X 25 X .5 is 234 lbs of compost, before the N was added. That means that I added 1.735% Nitrogen by weight. Or a 57.6:1 C:N ratio, ignoring any N from the Starbucks Coffee grounds I added much earlier. So from this simple math, my addition of the fertilizer does not seem to me to be out of line at all. In fact, had I done this calculation earlier, I ought to have added twice the fertilizer than I added! Thanks for indirectly suggesting that I do this simple math as a double-check on my &quot;ongoing experiment&quot;. Jim Since the core temperature was only rising slowly, perhaps a degree F or two a day, today I added 4 lbs total of Urea. I've yet to do the math on that, but mentally I'm not out of line with this addition, since it's about twice as strong as the lawn fertilizer. Here is a link that might be useful: Mantis ComposT-Twin page
    ...See More

Newbie ques re worm composting to finish 'regular' compost output

Q

Comments (4)
    Fast 'hot' composting requires a good mix of green (Nitrogen) and brown (Carbon) materials along with moisture and air. Fast hot compost can be finished as soon as 2-3 weeks. But if the mixture isn't right, you have cold compost which will break down in time, but may take a year or more. Now there's nothing wrong with cold compost - it's every bit as good as hot compost - it just takes longer...a lot longer. Vermicomposting is really a form of cold composting. Worms will process finished or near finished compost and it can make an excellent bedding material. However, it is important to also provide materials that are [more] actively decomposing to provide an ample feedstock. You 'can' purchase a COW, but you might want to begin with a simple rubbermaid/sterlite 10g or 18g bin. Your basement will be a bit cool at 50F as worms do best at 70F. They will be very slow, almost dormant at 50F, but they would be 'okay'. Also, as Bill points out, these won't really handle the volumes of material I think you're talking about. What you might better do is add worms to your outdoor compost heaps?
    ...See More

Compost - too much Nitrogen?

Q

Comments (2)
    The nutrients in compost are not very readily available and that is what testing for nutrients finds, readily available nutrients. 8 pounds of N per yard sounds quite high since the chart linke3d says N is close to what would be normal at 1.5 percent or about 7.5 pounds N per 50 pounds of product. If this is an initial application of organic matter to the soil then a 2 inch thick application may not be too much, but if there is already some OM in the soil then that may be a bit much. You want a total of 6 to 8 percent OM in the soil. !/2 pound of Nitrogen over a 150 square foot space is not much and probably not really anything that is needed. Most every soil test I have seen in the last 50 plus years recommends adding these very small amounts of N simply because. I would be concerned about the pH of this compost. At a pH of 8 that is too high since most all compost I have worked with, and had tested, has been at a pH in the 6.0 to 7.0 range. kimmq is kimmsr
    ...See More
  • monibucky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The testing kit was recommended by the nursery where I got it (but of course they are making money off it's sales). It tests for pH, nitrogen, potassium & phosphorous. Each is tested separately by taking small quantities of soil (dried and sifted) and placing it in a test tube. Then different reacting agents are added to the tubes and mixed. Solids are left to settle, then removed and the resulting liquid is compared against a color chart to see if nutrient quantities are high, medium or low. So no water is added and I was careful to thoroughly clean all utensils before testing. Still, I did find it odd that nitrogen levels were so low in all the tests I did. As a control I tested a planting mix of finished compost, soil conditioner, coco coir and fish bone meal and that came back with medium nitrogen levels.

I've been applying compost all over the gardens, but it's a relatively small amount over a large area. Plants seem to respond well, but I have a lot more soil building to do. The soils were in pretty poor condition when we moved in (property was neglected for a couple years before we arrived). It did seem like many of my plants were a little slow growing last year but we did have some inconsistencies in irrigation that could be responsible for that.

I'll continue to apply compost in all my beds as I'm sure it is helping more than anything, but was just curious if anyone else had experience low nitrogen levels in their compost. Was also wondering if the excess of coffee grounds could be throwing things off somehow.

And yes, I agree it's time to send off some sample to a lab to get more accurate results.

• glib
    8 years ago

thanks, but I am telling you that the nitrogen goes up in the atmosphere and gets lost. The higher the surface of the compostable, the more efficiently it gets lost. so you start with some OM which is a complete fertilizer, and at the end of the composting you end up with something incomplete.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

What those soil tests are testing for is soluble, readily available, nutrients. The nutrients in compost are not very readily available, soluble, so they do not show very well in those tests. Compost is a slow release source of plant nutrients that need the activity of the Soil Food Web to release the nutrients and feed the plants.

During digestion some Nitrogen may be lost to the atmosphere, but if a lot is there would be a noticeable odor of ammonia.

kimmq is kimmsr

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

Your original post said that if anything you don't have enough browns to keep the ratio correct. In general this means an overabundance of N rather than a deficit. The only way that would lead to a nitrogen depleted product is if you had a lot of very slow digesting browns like wood, in which case the greens might go quickly and some N would be lost, followed by slower decomposition of the wood which could deplete N on the back end. But the browns you list are not woody, and you said your piles don't have an unpleasant odor, so you're not losing oodles of N.

One thing about N is that it's highly variable according to season, temperature and moisture content (i.e. rainfall) as well as absorption by plants during the growing season. In this way it is different from P, K and the micronutrients, which stick around a lot more and do not change as fast. So we don't get too hung up on it.

You might consider using some of those grounds as mulch, and cover with leaves, yard waste etc. so they don't get crusty and repel water. Spent grounds are not particularly acidic so don't worry about that. Degradable mulch will provide a good boost of nutrients (including N) directly to the soil and you can skip the composting step.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Soil tests - home or otherwise - will nearly always show deficient levels of N. And that's because of its volatility as described by tox above - it doesn't hang around long as a measurable or quantifiable item. In fact, many professional labs do not even test for N because of this reason - it will only show as a single snapshot in time, not as a measurable, ongoing source. And it will take different forms as well - atmospheric N - the largest source of N - is virtually unavailable to plants except for those leguminous types that are able to absorb N from the atmosphere and 'fix' it via their roots. Most plants rely on N in the form of nitrates or ammonium and these are not often volatized or lost to the atmosphere.

Maintaining a good balance between browns (carbon sources) and greens (N sources) in your home compost will reduce the loss of N via volatilization or leaching. Researchers report optimum values from 20
    to 31 (a C:N ratio of 20 -31 C to 1 N). A majority of investigators believe that for C:N ratios above
    30 there will be little loss of nitrogen. University of California
    studies on materials with a initial C:N ratio varying from 20 to
    78 and nitrogen contents varying from 0.52% to 1.74% indicate that
    initial C:N ratio of 30 to 35 was optimum.

As tox said, just don't get hung up on N levels derived from any soil tests. They will not be accurate and will not reflect a true measure of plant available N. Any source of N rich organic matter - like home compost - will be a fine addition to the garden.

• monibucky
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks all. I'm feeling much more confident that my finished compost is a good product and the rest of my soils are not is a bad of shape as I thought. I'll keep applying compost and mulches to the whole garden to keep my plants happy. And thanks for the scientific explanation of the soil testing and nitrogen availability. This all makes a lot more sense now. Happy gardening!
  • tete_a_tete
    8 years ago

I was surprised when you said that you were worried that you did not have enough browns. To me, it sounded as though you might not have enough greens. I wonder if some lawn clippings (DOH! It's winter there, isn't it?) mixed in would greatly assist. I fine grass clippings are terrific when put into the pile and mixed in.

I have also heard that home pH test kits are fairly unreliable.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

It is not so much that the home soil test kits are not very reliable as it is that they do not tell you what you really need to know. You do the soil pH test and the results tell you the soil has a pH of 5.7. Which lime, Calcitic or Dolomitic, do you apply and how much? Applying too little will not correct the problem and applying the wrong one will not correct the problem, and applying too much is a waste of your money and will create more problems by raising the soil pH too high which can result in nutrients being unavailable to the plants.

A TV show gardener has for years stated that he always throws a couple of handfuls of lime (does not say which kind) because the soil he gardens in is always acidic. That is because not enough, and maybe the right one, is not added to the soil to correct the problem.

kimmq is kimmsr

monibucky thanked kimmq
  • glib
    8 years ago

at any rate the pH varies rapidly with depth, often more than 1 unit per foot and 3 units per 3 ft, while changing from alk. to acid. The environment created by decomposing organic matter is always close to neutral. In my acid soil years ago, I would pile manure for the winter somewhere far from the garden (so voles would congregate there). In spring that spot would be covered with clover, otherwise absent in my backyard, which would then survive for years only there. Deep roots were apparently unaffected by the below ground acidity. It is a well known effect that holistic management types use to show the benefit of grazing (clover would grow in acid soils, where cow pies fell).

monibucky thanked glib
  • toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

It occurred to me that a home test kit must be designed to measure one specific form of nitrogen, but which one? Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ? Even it was a good idea to worry about it (which I believe has been thoroughly addressed above), the test is probably not even measuring N in all its forms.

monibucky thanked toxcrusadr
  • Richard Brennan
    8 years ago

Your end product (low nitrogen) is exactly what would be expected if you started with a higher nitrogen ratio, and the compost pile got very hot. The high bacteria load would produce ammonia which would escape into the air.

If this were a soil mixture then there would be bacteria in the clay that could hold on to the nitrogen in the ammonia. (That is why large farms inject ammonia into the soil to add nitrogen.) However, without the clay and it's bacteria, the ammonia escapes the compost pile as gas. So the irony is that for all the nitrogen you began with, you end up with very little in the finished product.

The best solution is to add clay into the compost pile - maybe about 5%. That will introduce the needed bacteria (not to mention added minerals contained in the clay). As a secondary step, you might want to cut back a bit on the green materials - but the clay is a must.

• monibucky
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Richard,

But if the compost pile was releasing a lot of ammonia gas wouldn't the pile have a foul odor? With the exception of the grounds that have just been added to the pile (often they have begun to ferment from sitting in plastic trash cans for 7-12 days) our compost smells pretty good.

We have a pretty good clay content in our native soil which does get added to the piles, but I admit that sometimes it is overlooked. I'll be sure to add more in the next few batches. Thanks!
  • glib
    8 years ago

at long last someone else who says these things, Richard. But pulverizing clay is easier said than done. It is still better to bury everything. In fact, I think that there are "all brown" cases where more nitrogen is available to the soil than in compost. consider dry leaves mulch. Earthworms pull them in, crunch them, regurgitate them, and let bacteria take over. Pronto, nitrogen fixed into the soil, two inches under, and immediately available to the plants. Compost? not so much.

• Richard Brennan
    8 years ago

Monibucky,

The aroma would be kind of a stinging smell like urine. It would be strongest when the pile was hot, but maybe undetectable otherwise. Chemically, the nitrogen is escaping - there is no getting around that.

That said, you still have a good result. The end product of composting is humus, which is not supposed to be fertilizer (i.e. nutrient dense). It provides the garden with organic material and soil biology. If you need nitrogen, add in a little alfalfa or feather meal and problem solved.

monibucky thanked Richard Brennan
  • kimmq
    8 years ago

The bacteria, and other members of the Soil Food Web, do not live on the mineral components of soil, the clays, sands, and silts. They need the organic material that is another component of soil. Perhaps the Soil Biology Primer may help some here.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/soils/health/biology/

kimmq is kimmsr

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

While I support the idea of applying compostables directly to the soil, the idea that composting wastes virtually all the nutrient content is a bit overblown IMHO. I have not yet seen evidence to back that up (i.e. controlled studies) if it is out there. Admittedly, since I'm not directly in that profession, I don't keep an eye on the scientific literature. I just don't think composting is a complete waste of time, and sometimes it is the most practical alternative to landfilling (which we need to keep in mind is what most people are doing with a lot of their organics). Just sayin'.

• glib
    8 years ago

at least for the carbon, which is the keystone nutrient, the evidence is plentiful. since your compostables are 80%+ carbon, all you need to do is measure the input weight and the output weight.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

Carbon is not a plant nutrient although the Soil Food Web does convert what makes up that carbon into nutrients the plants can use.

kimmq is kimmsr

• glib
    8 years ago

and yet soil scientists say that it is the keystone nutrient. since without it nothing becomes available. now do not run out and pour coal on your garden. It needs to be organic carbon. I made an example a few posts up how carbon produces nitrogen for example. Once you accept that biology dominates soil dynamics, carbon becomes the keystone.

• kokopellifivea
    8 years ago

Just my practical experience: The plants may outrun the available N from your compost at any given time.

Whether it leaches away or is lost to the atmosphere, or get used by the plants, I'll leave to the metaphysicians.

My point, simply, is that there is no guarantee that even a generous application of compost will supply the optimum level of N at all times through the growing season.

For one thing, what constitutes "finished" compost? I suppose convention would say a cooled pile that has been turned a couple of times that has had an ample supply of N and moisture during the cooking phase, + 6 weeks or so after that. But that's only a convention that experience teaches us means that the compost won't rob the soil of N by itself. The compost will continue to decompose afterwards, supplying N plus other nutrients. Just not necessarily at optimum levels at any given time.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

Once I learned what I was doing back in the 1960's I have not had a problem with Nitrogen deficiency. Adequate quantities of organic matter, not necessarily large amounts of organic material, in the soil are the key. Even when the soil test came back with a note to spread 3 pounds of N per 1,000 square feet there was no problem with the plants growing and producing as they should.

Compost is one form of organic material that can be put in soil and it will be the catalyst for the buildup of the Soil Food Web. Get the amount of organic matter in the soil up to adequate levels, ie. make the soil good and healthy, and the plants will have enough nutrients in balance.

kimmq is kimmsr

• jon2412
    8 years ago

I recently used a soil test kit and it stated that the mixed solution for the nitrogen test needed to be kept out of sunlight as this could alter results

• kimmq
    8 years ago

I found the following at the link below, "Compost Application: It is a common misconception that you cannot add too much compost to your soils. In fact, excessive compost can create many problems. The most common problems are above optimum nutrient levels, high soluble salts, excessive organic matter, and soil pH levels that are either too high or too low. Soil organic matter, which provides many positive attributes to soils used for crop production, can be detrimental when used excessively. Compost is an excellent, albeit slow release, source of essential nutrients. When soil organic matter levels surpass 8%, it can lead to excessive nutrient availability and other problems."

On one hand compost has no nutrients but on the other hand too much comp-ost in the garden can create excessive nutrient levels. If too much organic matter in soils produces excess amounts of nutrients then those nutrients must be there in spite of what chemical tests indicate.

http://soiltest.umass.edu/fact-sheets/over-fertilization-soils-its-causes-effects-and-remediation

kimmq is kimmsr

• sophie tucker
    8 years ago

it occurs to me that if you just added this compost to already existing soil, the nitrogen already present would have been adequate for the plants (unless the soil was truly poor), and the cause of the slow growth may have been the water issue. also, if you were adding phosphorus and potassium via the nitrogen-depleted compost, you may have had good root growth in the plants, which will stand them in good stead in your now nitrogenized soil.

This has been an informative thread, and ty, kimmq, for the link to the USDA soil biology site.

• John Donovan
    8 years ago

If you are lazy and want to watch a video on why excessive compost can have issues you can watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0KwZdE9YAY.

• glib
    8 years ago

Compost, being generally low in nitrogen, is best with some legume crops that need a lot of P and K. The best organic way to provide N is underseed vegetables with clover. Failing that, there is always urea.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

If compost is "generally low in Nitrogen" please explain how if too much is put into soils there can be excess Nitrogen.

kimmq is kimmsr

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

"The end product of composting (humus) is stripped of all N and P."

Except that most of the time we don't wait years for the 'end product' to form. We use compost while it's just beginning the long tailing out toward humus. And it does have nutrients, significant amounts. As a result, continual additions can over time increase nutrients to very high levels. I don't want people reading this thread to get the idea that compost has few nutrients. If you'd like to see my soil test results showing high to almost excessive P and K after adding pretty much nothing but compost for a few years, I can post a link. :-]

On a more general note it is mildly amusing to be told by posters here that I'm composting wrong if my piles aren't hot, and that I should have cold piles if I want nutrients in my compost, both within a week of each other.

All things in moderation...sometimes hot, sometimes cold, soil is great, garden is fine, plenty of nutrients. :-D

• oliverisaac
    8 years ago

nitrogen might be the first to the party, but it gets partied out fast. Two ways to grow plants to just grow green-age above ground. Nitrogen! which everyone knows about, and Calcium! which most people neglect, because we have been programmed to fixate on nitrogen fertilizers. So#1 check for calcium, if you have plenty, you are good! 2# compost is not designed to fertilize as much as it is to improve soil texture , tilth, and increase you cation exchange capacity (how well you can hold fertilizing minerals-once you get them). #3 if you took a sample from the forest floor, it would have little to barely any stored up fertilizing minerals, but it has so much decaying organic matter that the humic acid constantly breaking down new food for plants (by the second) is feeding their mouths, the minute they open. #4 these tests are snapshots, they only show one step of the race, not the overall health of the runner

:)

• kimmq
    8 years ago

Once again, compost tests low for Nitrogen because the N in compost is not readily available, it is not soluble, which is what soil tests look for, readily available nutrients.

For the most part we plunk down too much Nitrogen which results in nitrate poisoning of the water we drink, we are slowly poisoning ourselves. The high levels of nitrates in water is one reason Des Moines, IA is either looking at, or is, suing several counties upstream for the excess amounts of nitrates in the Raccoon River.

If you sampled the forest floor and did a soil test you would not find a lot of available N in the samples and yet the plants in that forest are not starved for it.

kimmq is kimmsr

• crmstrong
    7 years ago

The nitrogen is used in the breakdown of the hydrogen-dense "brown" content. There will be very little if any left. As the compost attracts earth worms and other organisms that secrete nitrogen in their wastes, the nitrogen will increase. If you add fresh kitchen wastes into the garden soil between plants, worms will eat the decaying material and release nitrogen. If you add dilute urine to your fresh compost there will be more nitrogen. Add blood meal, as well.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

Well, blood meal is just as well sprinkled around the plants. In other words why compost fertilizers - just use them.

Hydrogen-dense? This is a term I have not come across. As a chemist I am genuinely interested in what role hydrogen plays, since we always talk about C and N in this process but not H.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm familiar with the carbon and water cycle and the formation of carbohydrates by plants. I find no mention of the term 'hydrogen-dense' on that page. Perhaps you can further elaborate.

• crmstrong
    7 years ago

Is terminology so relevant that simple chemistry is of little importance? The fact that plant matter is over 90% hydrogen informs most people that the combination of 1/30th of that content of nitrogen breaks down the composition of the essentially hydrogen-based material. Please, open your mental capacity to see the simple things.

"Hydrogen-dense" is the same connotation to plant matter as "Nutrient-dense" is to soil matter plants grow in. Neither term is needed any dictionary explanation for common people to know quite well what they refer to, the relative abundance of these elements in one set of materials compared to another set

Need we labor over simple, easily understood terminology finesse?

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

Yes, we do if your facts are wrong.

Common people do not know at all what you are referring to, because even compost experts (many of whom are present on this forum and are smarter than little old me) don't talk about 'hydrogen-dense' materials. But I'll try to ignore your superior attitude and stick to the facts.

It is patently impossible for plant matter to be 90% hydrogen. Carbohydrates have a basic formula (CH2O)n, which a little simple math indicates is 2/32 or 6.67% H. Water, if you wish to include that as part of the content and not just consider dry mass, is 2/18 or 11.1% H. So let's start with where the 90% hydrogen is coming from?

• Lloyd
    7 years ago

Not to pile on but I have never heard or seen any use of the term "hydrogen-dense" in all my dealings with compost, composting or farming. Neither did Google give me any reference to the term. I suppose Dihydrogen Monoxide could be a hydrogen-dense material (bit of a stretch) but in reference to composting it does not break down.

• rgreen48
    7 years ago

Carbon-dense?

• crmstrong
    7 years ago

Lloyd -Please - describe to me a short, easy to understand term that indicates one material similar to another but containing more concentration of one element than the other similar material to use that clearly distinguishes the one from the other.

Please.

• crmstrong
    7 years ago

The carbon is essentially the same in two - however the hydrogen element as a dry weight is more dense in the lower moisture material. Hence my choice of terminology. Essentially the hydrogen content of carbonaceous organic material reacts with the nitrogen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_organic_matter

Notice this line in the site above . . . "Lignins are complex compounds that form the older parts of wood, and consist also mainly of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. They are resistant to decomposition."

These tough lignins are the primary elements of dry organic materials. The nitrogen supports enzymes that reacts with these lignins to break them into elemental content of the decomposed material. The nitrogen is quite volatile and dissipates much faster from the decomposing material that other elements, resulting in little nitrogen left after it is both consumed by the enzymes and gased-off.

Hopes this helps some readers here.

• Richard Brennan
    7 years ago

OK. I get it. Hydrogen moves through this process. It is one of the inputs in plant material and it is released as decomposition occurs. But I think that the collective response is... so? Hydrogen is everywhere. We are swimming in it. Air is "hydrogen-dense". There is no need to preserve it or provide it to plants. Unless I am missing something?

• crmstrong
    7 years ago

Oddly, the pseudo "science" behind the silly, unscientific, proven wrong-headed and actually caught red handed falsifying facts about CO2 "polution" is also a factor in the "It's abundant all around" fable.

No, it is not "Abundant" in any way. In fact, earth is at a very low, biologically-unsustainable CO2 atmosphere level, so if man is capable of pushing this vital nutrient even lower, our plants will vanish, oceans will tun to cesspools with dead plankton and other microbial plants and, well, we will die by the billions, along with all other plant-dependent life forms.

The key is Balance. The hydrogen in woody material is what makes it "woody." it is "dense" relative to non woody plant material. If that is some form of insignificant factor to you, may I suggest that this discussion about the natural life cycle of nutrients in our biosphere is out of your interest and care range?

In fact, these elements are all vital in "Balance" to each other, and the "dense" part is a relative term, as my inclusion of it clearly states.

Thanks for your sharing, all of you. I have no further interest in this messed up delusion about composting. Bye.

• Richard Brennan
    7 years ago

Crmstrong, what you are saying makes sense if you substitute "Carbon" for where you are saying "Hydrogen". Could you be mixing up the two?

• Lloyd
    7 years ago

Bye.

• theparsley
    7 years ago

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

!!?!

The good news is, the orbit is so eccentric on that one we probably won't see it again for 76 years. So we got that going for us.

I'm going to go exhale really hard for a few minutes and do my part to fix those unsustainable CO2 levels.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

Can't stop shaking my head and chuckling about this thread. :-P