SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamesmarconnet

Can low amb. temp. prevent compost heating up by adding Nitrogen?

JamesMarconnet
12 years ago

I'm trying to accomplish some 14- or 21- or something like that- day hot compost using a Mantis ComposT-Twin tumbler. It is filled, both sides, with a batch of shredded tree leaves, used coffee grounds, and I've added high nitrogen lawn fertilizer several times along the way. I've used up a 14 pound bag of 29-0-4 fertilizer.

Up until yesterday, if the temperature fell some, I could jack it back up quickly by adding a half pound Nitrogen fertilizer to which ever side was cooling off. Yesterday, despite adding four pounds of nitrogen fertilizer the day before to just one side whose temperature was dropping, both sides' temperature plummeted, approaching ambient temperature. And the temperature seems to be staying there all day today, despite a sunny, warm day.

It's been getting down to about 32-40 degrees at night here lately, and warmer in the daytime. I'm wondering if there is some ambient temperature below which the tumbler contents simply won't heat up regardless how much nitrogen fertilizer I add. I recognize that sudden death temperature might depend on the tumbler, the contents, the solar siteing, etc.

Any explanations or suggestions?

I have lots of leaves, UCG, and shredded newspaper and cardboard all ready to start the next batch of compost, but I cannot seem to get the previous batch done to where I'd like it to be so I can use it and move on to the next batch. The shredded leaves still look like black shredded leaves.

Jim

Comments (23)