SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Adding trace elements to prevent fungal diseases

strawchicago z5
9 years ago

In researching the anti-fungal agents of zinc, copper, and selenium, I found this excellent link, entitled, "How to Add Micronutrients to compost". Here's an excerpt from the link below:

"... manganese is found in pineapples, tomatoes, cranberries and carrots. Boron can be found in apples, avocados, bananas, broccoli and chickpeas. Copper shows up in seaweed, mushrooms, radicchio, turnip greens and potatoes. Iron is most commonly found in artichokes, spinach, collard greens, lentils and soybeans. Chlorine is found in very high levels in oatmeal, dates and rhubarb, as well as olives (wipe away excess oil before tossing olives into your compost). Molybdenum can be found in beans, peas, whole grains and raw nuts. Lastly, great sources of zinc are sesame, pumpkin, squash, and watermelon seeds and peanuts."

My recent mistake during our last month of perpetual rain: I tested gritty lime on top of roses. BIG MISTAKE !! That didn't prevent black spots. Most own-roots, esp. Austin roses HATE that alkaline lime at pH 9. Although the French roses, Radio Times, and Wise Portia became more vigorous, since they like a higher pH ... it wasn't worth it.

I later found that as the pH become too alkaline, less zinc and copper are available to plants. Both are the top anti-fungal nutrients, so it defeated my purpose of black-spot prevention. I was able to undo the damage done to Summer Samba rose, by scraping off the lime, and put Encap dry-compost, plus Milorganite (good % of zinc and copper). It sprouted healthy leaves immediately.

Below link explains how to build your own compost rich in trace elements:

Here is a link that might be useful: How to add micronutrients to your compost

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!