SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laspasturas_gw

Adding Nitrogen to Wood Mulch?

laspasturas
13 years ago

Pine bark and sawdust are looking to be our easiest, least expensive mulching options this year. I know that they both have the potential to tie up a lot of nitrogen, so I was thinking about mixing them with an extra source of nitrogen to counteract it. Do you think that adding cottonseed or alfalfa meal would work? We're thinking 4 truckloads of mulch will do us, but I'm not sure how much nitrogen would need to be added. I obviously don't want to overload the soil. Maybe it would be better to add it continuously, rather than all at once? These are all just guesses, of course. I've never used wood mulch in the veggie bed before. I have a huge pile of shredded leaves, but not nearly enough for the whole garden. I was thinking that I would use them right around all of the plants and the wood mulch in the rest of the bed for weed suppression. We've gone back and forth about what to use, but keep coming back to the wood mulch for cost and convenience. We were planning to use compost, but the first truckload that we got seemed much too hot to layer on that thickly.

Our other option is hay, but the hay we got last year had so many weed seeds in it that I'm not sure about using it again. I'd never had that problem with hay or straw before.

Hope everyone is enjoying the nicer weather and is more on schedule than I am this year! Vacation and plumbing problems really set us back this month and I'm still trying to get all of the tomatoes in the ground.

-Megan

Comments (6)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm