SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
witeowl

Immature compost = Nitrogen Deficient?

witeowl
15 years ago

OK, so I was so proud of my trashcan tumbler which I turned regularly and which provided me about five gallons of sifted compost a month. (Yeah, not much to most of you, but quite a lot for me and my one trashcan system.)

Here's the problem. I applied my first batch as a thin layer of mulch to my small patch of beans and peas. They turned yellow. It may have been coincidence, or it may have been my immature compost sucking the nitrogen out of the soil. The whole point of compost is to give nutrients, not take them away. :sigh: So... I used a soil test kit on my compost, and it shows as being severely nitrogen deficient. Is this fair to my compost to test it this way? Assuming it is, what do I do now?

Options as I see it:

1) Let my sifted compost "cure" somewhere. I could probably set up a ventilated bin system, but that seems like a lot of extra work and materials.

2) Make a second (or second and third) trash can tumbler. After filling one, let it sit until the second (or third) is finished, then use that. That's probably the best option.

3) Buy composted manure (or dry manure?) and mix it in to the compost before using. My least favorite idea.

I'm sad. Maybe I'm making too much out of this, and maybe the plants were blighted by something else. I honestly hate the thought of having to do even more work to get usable compost. How can I test my quickly-produced compost without risking the health and well-being of any more plants?

Here is a link that might be useful: My system with in-progress (not sifted) compost

Comments (18)