SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfg_newbie

Newbie ques re worm composting to finish 'regular' compost output

sfg_newbie
16 years ago

I have several outdoor wire compost bins that I use routinely. I'm concerned because they don't seem to be breaking down as nicely as I'd like. So, I have a few worm related questions.

1. Should/could I start a worm bin production to finish off my regular compost? I have quite a bit of yard waste in summer and fall and I don't produce a consistent amount of kitchen scraps (either lots after canning/cooking days or not so much during winter) so I figured "pre-composting" outside and feeding them the partially finished compost would be the best option.

2. I'm in New England, so I guess I'd have to bring the guys in for the winter. My downstairs is about 50 degrees in winter - would that be warm enough for them? I don't think I'm really up to having the bin in my kitchen at this point.

3. I'm leaning towards the Can-O-Worms bin. I'm looking for low-maintenance casting harvesting. I am SO not going to pick worms out by hand. Does this seem like a good option?

4. How many worms should I buy to put in my Can-O-Worms? And how quickly will they outgrow their home and I'll need to expand into a second bin?

5. How much partially finished compost should I feed these guys? I've read half their body weight daily, but I'm assuming that's different when it's already partially decomposed, right?

Thank you SO much in advance for your help. I really appreciate your input!!

Comments (4)