SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jon_biddenback

Newbie attempts margarine tub worm bin

Jon Biddenback
8 years ago

Bentley over at redwormcomposting.com remarked that a person "could literally start a small worm bin in an old margarine container," and I've heard that smaller bins are good for tiny populations: easier for worms to find each other (even inadvertently) and decide to mate. Recently the household finished a tub of margarine, and it occurred to me that I never really paid enough attention to timing the bucket setup I started with a few dozen worms. So, time to try a micro bin. This could be interesting.

As time is an ally that eventually turns all things to compost, it's important to foster an interest in composting while they're young.

No drainage for this one, so I'll need to be more careful with moisture level, but I do need air holes for ventilation. It's 2:30 in the morning, I don't want to get out the power drill. A hot nail will do fine.

I know some people prefer and recommend not using a lid. If anything, they keep a bright light on above the bin, to keep the worms down where they're supposed to be. I'm using a thin plastic that, while opaque, does permit some light, so I'd rather keep my bins in the dark, and use lids to keep the worms from wandering too far.

That doesn't look like eisenia fetida.

While my bucket bin is fairly inclusive, for the margarine tub bin I won't be adding any non-worm critters on purpose. Critters that get in on their own, or stow away in soil or scraps, are fine as long as they don't cause any trouble.

-Time Passes-

8:00pm

For bedding I'll be using corrugated cardboard, scissor cut into small pieces of various sizes and shapes, as well as a napkin I used to wipe up a worm food spill. Both the corrugation and the assorted shapes should help to keep the bedding from packing up too tight, and going anaerobic.

Food is a mix of boiled shredded carrots, used coffee grounds, ramen nobody wanted to finish, ground egg shells, and leftover oatmeal, frozen and thawed in plain tap water to soften further. Yum. I didn't worry about grinding the shells all the way down to powder. The tiny pieces can be used as grit for the worms' gizzards, the coarser chunks can sit there and act as a slow release calcium carbonate source, insurance against things getting too acidic.

Microbial inoculation with a handful of soil from an overgrown, untended spot not too far from home. Pictured: more than a handful.

Filled the tub most of the way up, and mixed with a stick I pulled out of my developing compost pile. This served two purposes: further microbial inoculation, and keeping that crap off my hands.

Almost ready, but it still lacks two of the most important ingredients: worms, and time. First things first, tuck it in with the bucket bin and the paper waste holder AKA stacking bin #2, and let it sit for a week. I'll check on moisture level from time to time, but for the most part this thing is getting ignored for now. Just giving the microbes a chance to colonize and multiply.

After the week is up, I'll pull 2-4 worms from the bucket bin, and move them into the margarine tub. It's a tiny number of worms for the job, but I can't spare many if things go south and they die (started the bucket with about 50), and it will be a good opportunity to check out red wigglers' self replication capabilities over time. Also, it gives me a chance to investigate the claim I've seen that red wigglers can adapt to overfed conditions with time and neglect, it's too much messing with them that kills them.

Comments (35)