SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbauer48

Bathroom reno: the verdict on bathtubs for resale

gbauer48
8 years ago

Hi all,

My husband and I just bought and moved into a 100-year-old semi-detached home in our favourite part of Toronto. It's a high-demand area, so the house had 4 offers and we had to pay above asking to get it. We knew going in that the main bathroom was due for a gut job. It's a very unusual and somewhat awkward shape: 11.5 feet by 3 feet 10 inches -- essentially a bowling lane. Right now there's a big soaking tub inserted lengthwise at one end, surrounded by 3 walls (with only one short side free). I'm trying to decide between two options for the reno:

1. A corner tub/shower combo. They have some nice curved or angled tubs that would fit in lengthwise and would be less overbearing than the current tub.

2. Forget the tub and just install a modern, spacious shower. That would mean there's no tub in the house, because the only other bathroom is a powder room. There's no place in the house to install a third bathroom without sacrificing space that we absolutely need. It's a small house.

Some (but not all) people maintain that having at least one bathtub is necessary for resale. We're not planning to sell anytime soon (I'm 59 and could stay here for the next 20 years if my health holds up), but I don't want to disregard the future altogether. My husband would prefer the shower, and I'm leaning toward the combo. Which would you do and why?

Comments (17)