SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Vote? What to do with small bathroom... tub or shower?

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

I know this isn't strictly a decorating question, but I would love to get your input. We're remodeling the entire house and the only space left in it's original state is the old original bathroom.

For our use, either a tub/shower combo or shower stall would work fine (more in a sec) but looking ahead to RESALE.... in this situation which do you think is more desirable???

I'll attach a plan of the house. It has 2 bathrooms, one of which is at the end of the master suite area. We recently remodeled the master bath (pics below) and it has a great walk-in shower and a separate soaking tub. So we do have a tub in the house.

This bath in question is SMALL... just 5 x 8.3 feet. It serves as the company powder room, in addition to being the bathroom our teen daughter uses (she's in the top left bedroom.) She'd prefer a stall shower but not by a huge margin. A stall shower would allow us to add a storage cabinet. Storage is definitely needed in there.

But would a tub be better for resale? Who would buy this house, do you think? It will not be starter-home priced; more high-end. Would they have kids and want a tub in that shared bath? Or is it an older couple who'd prefer a neater, less crowded bathroom there (ie stall shower)?

The house has a master suite, plus a decent sized bedroom, plus a small nursery/kid bedroom/or home office.....

What would you do???

Plan:

Master bathroom with tub and shower:

Master bathroom with tub and shower:

Comments (42)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts