SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Tub in master bathroom -- necessary or not?

lkplatow
12 years ago

I'm asking this on behalf of my sister, who is planning a bathroom model but is afraid of doing something she'll later regret. Her house is a circa 1970s colonial. The current master bathroom has a regular size (not big soaking size) tub stuck in the area behind the door. There is a large walk-in stall shower. The vanity is very small and only one sink with very little counter space (think cheapy-70s tiny vanity with formica counter top) and it is right next to the toilet. The tiny vanity and it being right next to the toilet are driving her crazy, so she wants to remodel. There is no way to expand the room, so she has to work within the existing space.

For her, the best choice seems to be to remove the tub, move the toilet to the area behind the door (kind of separating it from the rest of the bathroom), keeping the shower where it is, and expanding the vanity to the old area where the toilet was, which allows for a much bigger vanity with double sinks and lots of storage. But this means that there will be NO TUB in the master bathroom. She doesn't care about that because she is not a "bath person" but I know many people are and this might be a dealbreaker come resale time.

Or she has another option of moving the stall shower to where the tub is currently, putting a soaking tub where the stall shower is but orienting it differently, and then expanding the vanity into part of where the old stall shower was. This gets her both a tub and walk-in shower, but means a smaller than option #1 vanity plus it leaves the toilet right next to the vanity.

Her other option would be to change the walk-in shower to a combination bath/shower, but I think that would be cheesy -- sort of like the worst of both worlds.

Personally, not being a "bath person" myself, I like option 1. I suggested that she trick out the shower to make up for the lack of tub, figuring that even a "bath person" might be won over by a steam shower/sauna/multiple showerhead type setup. I think that she should remodel her bath based on her priorities, which are a nice shower and a big vanity, and not worry so much about resale. But like it or not, resale is a factor and so I told her I'd ask on here to see if you all had strong opinions one way or the other.

So, if it were your house, WWYD?

Comments (28)