SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_mocha

What would you rather have in Master Bathroom...

lisa_mocha
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Hi All,

We're in the stages of deciding on tiles, vanity etc for master bath reno. As mentioned in another post, it's a small space with @ 60 sq ft excluding shower area.

Existing walk\-in shower is small...@ 3x4ft. With the reno, it will increase to 3 x 6ft.

Existing vanity is 34".

There is a large built-in soaker tub being ripped out.

Curious as to what your preference would be:

\-Replace large soaker with free standing tub. We'd gain just a few inches and new vanity could be @ 40" max.

OR:

\-Forget about a tub. ( there's a standard tub in another small bathroom. This is needed for kids/resale)

Instead, have a larger vanity from 60\-72'', plus room for an additional cabinet to store towels, cleaners etc.

NOTE:

Master bedroom is on a 3rd floor. Towels etc are now stored on 2nd floor.

We rarely use the tub. Maybe once/ yr.

What's best? Install a free standing tub, or would you go for larger vanity and more storage?

We're just thinking from a resale perspective...
Do people still really desire a tub in master bathroom or if there was good storage, sufficient counter space/dual sinks and a nice shower, would this be enough appeal for resale ?

What would be your preference?

Comments (53)

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks bethohio for the tip re: glass doors. We've not yet sourced this, so will certainly take the length into consideration:)

• nini804
    7 years ago

I will dissent, a bit. I think a freestanding tub can make a gorgeous focal point in a bath. It is definitely the focal point in mine. Also, some folks TRULY love to take baths...I have several friends who literally take a bath every night before bed to relax. (I am not one of these people...I never take baths!) So, these folks would probably not buy your house were you to sell.

HOWEVER...YOU are the ones living there! YOU don't use a tub, and you could definitely use a larger vanity. In your position, I would probably lose the tub, also.

lisa_mocha thanked nini804
  • Related Discussions

Would not having a window in the master bathroom a deal breaker f

Q

Comments (24)
    Certainly not a deal breaker. Keep in mind that you're probably not getting responses that are representative of home buyers in general--the people here are largely enthusiasts, who have spent a lot of time looking and thinking about houses. Ask the people in the kitchen forum if not having an exterior vented hood is a deal breaker, and most would say yes. Ask your average layperson this, and the response would be "what's an exterior vented hood?" So if you're happy with it, some other buyer will be, too. I think the solatube is a great option and I would not be terribly concerned about leaking. My parents have a master bath w/ no windows and installed one, not because they thought they needed one but so they could not turn on the lights during the day (they are funnily frugal folks considering they nearly live in a mansion). They bought a cheap model from a big box store, my dad installed it himself, and haven't had an issue with it--and we will in Nebraska, where we get snow and rain as hard as anybody (last year's drought notwithstanding). One thing my parents did before the solatube was install a dim fluorescent accent light (back in the 80s) which they kept on when we had company over. It provided the same kind of ambient lighting a window usually does and was very pleasant. You might consider having two types of lighting to get a similar effect.
    ...See More

Would you rather have

Q

Comments (27)
    Young- The washer is great, in fact we got a return from Lowe's, which saved us some money. It was out of the box, but never used. As the delivery guys opened the box, the lady decided she wanted a front loader! I guess they took it back, because the front loader was more expensive :) I love outdoor spaces, too. I saw on your blog that you are from the north, but now live in the south. I used to live in the south (my dad is from there) but I'm back up north now. While I like the four seasons, I could do with a little more spring and fall and a little less winter...but I do like the snow, at least for a few months. I don't miss the mosquitoes, either...we have a few here, but only in the evening in the late spring/early summer. Then the creek dries up for the most part and the mosquitoes disappear, but we have a lot of birds, who help out, too :) I think it's a great idea to reuse the items in the bathroom for the new kids' bathroom. Your master bathroom will be so nice...do you have a picture of the console sinks, you like? Also, I hope your reno man likes your plan! I think it will be wonderful and I think the stairs would work, still from the living room, but maybe just closer to the corner. You probably don't need tons of clearance, maybe 6'6" would be enough? It looks close now, and I think every stair is about 8" to 10" up, so a few more towards the edge of the living room, should give you another 18" to 24" in height...not that I'm any expert...just my best guess (LOL) Thanks again for the cupboard ideas! My planned master bedroom is about 15' x 10' with built in closets along the wall opposite the bed. I don't want to have bi fold doors, so I've been thinking of some kind of cabinet and you've given me some great ideas! :) Here's the only other closet built-in/cupboard picture I've found, that I really like...
    ...See More

Would you rather have a different first name?

Q

Comments (59)
    I like my name now. It's not too common, but not that unusual, either. As a child, I wished it were more common because I wanted things with my name on them and they just weren't readily available. You know what I mean - those things, like key chains, shoelaces, zipper pulls, stickers, etc. None came with my name on them. That made me vow that, when I had children, I'd always give them a name that wasn't so uncommon that they'd not be able to have personalized cheapo items!!! But - I like my name now. It's fine. From what my mom and dad told me, they were going to name me something that was a contraction of their 2 names. It was pretty and I'd kind of like to have that now, as it would be an honor to carry their names. But - in the end, they chose a name they loved and that suits me fine.
    ...See More

Would you rather have...

Q

Comments (27)
    We use our extra sink in our only bath to hold dirty socks for the most part! Really, it is never used as a sink but makes a good area to hold things, so it ends up being used for laundry. I would rather use DH's nasty sink he shaves in so that I can clean it as part of my tooth-brushing routine. After spitting and rinsing my brush, I take out my handy little cleaning brush and scrub the sink and give the faucet and handles a polish. Then I wipe any drips off the counter just before I walk out of the room and the bathroom is ready to face another day! It is our only full bathroom, not a private retreat where I could leave "his sink" yucky until he decides to clean it. He does a pretty good job of washing whiskers away!
    ...See More
  • ktj459
    7 years ago

100% no tub, IMO. I'd say that 90% of people take a bath maybe once a year. Yeah they can be gorgeous, but a nice big shower, counter space, and storage would more than make up for the lack of bath for the vast majority of people.

lisa_mocha thanked ktj459
  • sochi
    7 years ago

Skip tub go for vanity and storage

lisa_mocha thanked sochi
  • amberm145
    7 years ago

I would sacrifice a tub for more storage and counter space. However, if you're going to do a dual sink, you're actually going to have less storage in a 60" vanity than you would in a 40" vanity with a single sink. I'd hate to see you forgo a tub and then waste the space with a second sink.

My house doesn't have a linen closet. It's one of the things I really wanted when we drew up the plans, but there really just wasn't space. I planned to use a freestanding wardrobe in the hall, but I haven't gotten one yet. We have all our towels in the walk in closet in the master bedroom (no kids, so nobody's walking through looking for towels.) Is that an option for you? A spot for towels you use in the bedroom on the 3rd floor?

lisa_mocha thanked amberm145
  • 3katz4me
    7 years ago

DH and I both use our soaking tub several times a week. However we are unconventional in many respects. I'm not sure I'd buy a house that didn't have a decent tub and by decent I mean something beyond the standard short tub/shower combo. We don't usually do what appeals to the masses though so if that's what you're after it sounds like no tub is the way to go.

lisa_mocha thanked 3katz4me
  • bpath
    7 years ago

When we remodeled the bath In our last house, we took out the 5' shower (from 1958, rather progressive I thought), took over some unused space, and put in a tub-shower combo with a ledge on one end. I know, I know, people hate the combo, but I had missed a tub in the three years before we remodeled. Using my kids' tub just wasn't cutting it for me.

In our house now, we inherited a nicely remodeled bath, with a wonderful 6' shower, double vanity, good storage, but no tub. I've used the kids' tub only a couple of times in 10 years, but it's just not the same, and DH and I certainly can't share a bath (yeah, TMI).

So the question for you is, do you like to take an occasional bath?

lisa_mocha thanked bpath
  • lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone. We are so mixed on this...

We had decided several weeks ago that we should keep a tub, but are second-guessing as we've been so challenged on storage in the bathroom. (I work for a cosmetics /skincare company so have a lot of make-up etc kicking around:)

We both have a walk-in closet, but we'll be cutting into my husband's a bit (not touching mine:)!) to steal a little space for shower expansion. I should be purging some clothes, and perhaps I could find a little space for towels.

My preference would be a 60'' vanity (we don't really need 72) with just 1 sink.

I'd rather have more counter space. My husband mentioned 2 sinks if we went this route. However, we never have issue as he's an early riser and has cleared out of the bathroom before I'm up. Again, for resale, would it really matter.

I should also note that the neighborhood we're in is always in high demand and has been this way for the past 10 + yrs. Houses rarely are on the market more than a week. Should we be so concerned with resale, knowing that we'll likely be here another 5yrs or so?

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

byathome~ thanks for the giggle with the TMI:)

Re: baths, we've really only used to soothe sore muscles on the rare occasion. For relaxation, that huge soaker tub is a pain and the current bathroom space not that appealing. Perhaps with a re-do, I would use a tub a little more frequently. Even if it were to happen once a month, is it worth it. Mmm...

I can't see myself using the 2nd floor bathtub, unless I really needed to.

Maybe we need to do an overhaul too:) My husband refers to it as project creep;)

• roarah
    7 years ago

I hate sharing the bath when I am in it...so double sinks do not excite me, I would prefer his and her bathrooms if I had the space;). Do most homes in your hood have tubs and dual sinks. Are they new or older? Do most have third floor masters? Resale factors are regional usually. Remember even if you do everything according to what sells best you will still never recoup your costs to remodel. So again go with reasonable choices for what works for your family now.

ETA, I prefer sitting in a steam shower for sore muscles and relaxation to a tub....maybe add that to the shower if you forgo a tub.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Roarah, we live in a relatively unique neighbourhood. The majority of the homes have a 3rd floor with the master bdrm. A few smaller models have just 2 stories. Unless the homeowner has done a reno, it's pretty much cookie-cutter. Relative to our neighbours, we've done more upgrades/ improvements.

We've had agents knock on our door and ask if we want to sell...they could draw up the paperwork and have a done deal within a day. So, perhaps I'm over-thinking this...

I guess I need to heed this valuable advice...do what works best for us:)

• roarah
    7 years ago

I think you are safe with what ever you choose. Go with your heart and your budget and with your pleasure in mind. Flip a coin and if you are disappointed with the result or happy than you know what your heart really desires... Good luck!

lisa_mocha thanked roarah
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

I think most people would rather have the shower and larger vanity and storage. I'm not one of those people tho. I HAVE to have by bathtub! I had a 7ft vanity with 2 sinks but when we remodeled, I nixed one of the sinks, shortened the vanity a by a foot and widened my tub air bubble tub. DH has his own bathroom :) He has a tub/shower combo and uses both depending on how he's feeling. If I want to shower (about once a year) I can use his. So it's a win-win for you :) You don't take baths and neither do most couples. So enjoy all that extra storage.

lisa_mocha thanked monicakm_gw
  • Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

I love a soaking tub, but as long as a house had room to add one and everything else about the house worked, I would probably still buy that house. It sounds like you won't hurt resale by whatever choice you make.

lisa_mocha thanked Fun2BHere
  • lascatx
    7 years ago

I would want a tub and agree that borrowing a kids bathroom tub is just not the same (unless you put in something much more than your typical secondarybathroom tub. That said, I wouldn't buy a home where the master bath had such a small vanity, single sink and limited storage, so a decent tub in the secondary bath might be okay if the master bath was nnot so limited. It seems most people would prefer a double sink vanity, counter space, storage and a great shower. If you don't use the tub and have one elsewhere, that would seem to be what works best for you too,

lisa_mocha thanked lascatx
  • PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

I wish I had put a tub in my master bathroom.

lisa_mocha thanked MDLN
  • amberm145
    7 years ago

The problem with renovating with resale in mind is that 100% of homes end up with whatever 80% of people want. If YOU want it, chances are someone else will, too. And if nobody else has it, your house is the one those people will buy. So do what works for you.

When we were house hunting 15 years ago, one of our criteria was hardwood, or old carpet we could rip out and replace. We had to write off entire neighbourhoods because every single one of 30 listings had brand new carpet. Many of them in pink. Someone replaced his carpet, and all the realtors told all their clients that because that 1 guy did it, they all had to do it or they'd never sell. So they ended up all competing for the same buyers.

lisa_mocha thanked amberm145
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I'd rather have a tub. More than that-I have to have a tub. I'm a tub kind of a person. Always was, always will be.

But do what's right for you...especially given you have a tub in other space, and your neighborhood is very popular. When we took quotes from different GC for our remodel, they all looked at me with huge disbelief when I told them I use a tub every day. So I know, my choice is not that popular nowadays. I'd even go as far as saying having no tub in the master would be a deal breaker for me..but as we ended buying a house without that tub, and remodeling everything...))

lisa_mocha thanked aprilneverends
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I just did my master bathroom. We have a wonderful big shower that is wheelchair accessible with a rainfall head in the ceiling and separate hand held, we put in a 70 in freestanding vanity with a single sink added considerable storage space. It is exactly what we wanted. If we sell there is always a good chance they will want something different and change it. I will live in it with it filling my needs and not worry about that. I could have easily done 2 sinks, I didn't want 2 sinks have no need for it. Had them in my previous home and we only used one most of the time and never used the giant jetted tub.

I did put double sinks in the guest bathroom because I have a huge vanity in there and one sink would not look right. That bathroom does have a tub and shower. So that takes care of the tub.

I wholeheartedly believe you should make it for you! I would never buy your house because you have a 3rd floor master, in fact I would never buy anything but a single story. That's a consideration for the elderly and those with handicapps. My wheelchair makes those decisions for me.

lisa_mocha thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • rebeccamomof123
    7 years ago

I love a tub, and take one almost every night. With 3 young kids, that's my only "me" time. A master with no tub would be a big disappointment to me, but I'm clearly in the minority on that. Also, if this decision is being based on resale only versus your own personal preference, then you need to know your market. Will your home more likely attract a young starter family (tub) or empty nesters / seniors (shower)? Either way you go sounds like it will be a major upgrade!

lisa_mocha thanked rebeccamomof123
  • lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rebecca, you hit the nail on the head. Our neighbourhood has traditionally been a favourite with young families. Walking distance to schools, playgrounds/ ballfields, quiet/ safe streets ( garages in back laneways)...

The 3 level home is not really appealing to seniors, however, we have 2 homeowners across from us in that are indeed seniors and have no intention of leaving until they really have to.

With soaring real estate prices in recent years, fewer young families are moving in. The 'hood is now @ 16 yrs old and more people are choosing to stay than move on to larger homes. We're also well located with proximity to schools, shopping, major highways ( important here in greater Toronto area)

When we discussed tub vs add'l storage, it's the mom of young children I had in mind, needing an 'escape' and some time away to relax & soak away those hectic days:)

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

Lol. I'm reading this post and started thinking about the house we just bought in August(haven't moved in yet). And JUST realized there isn't a single tub in the whole house. There are 3 bathrooms in the main house and another in the garage apartment and they are all showers only.

Anyway, as long as there is a tub somewhere in the house I'd lose the tub in the master. If it was a budget thing then I'd say to find a way to get a tub in, but it sounds like it really is a matter of available space so in that case storage and a roomy shower win out. Just make it special, a bench, plenty of niche space(I'm putting 4 in my upcoming shower remodel) steam, etc.

Looking forward to seeing plans.

lisa_mocha thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I will throw this out there ...

In our first home, we remodeled 3 of the 5 full baths. In two of those, we put in oversized shower stalls. Then, in our current home, we put in or remodeled oversized shower stalls in 3 of the 5 full bathrooms.

About 2 years ago we remodeled and expanded our beach house. We did 4 full bathrooms. The shower stalls in those bathrooms are all "normal size". Like 3x4' maybe?

Why? I have come to think oversized showers are a waste. Smaller ones are warmer. Large ones are drafty and often have unused space. As for the benches, they are cold unless the water reaches you fully on the bench; most designs I see do not. You can shave with just a little foot ledge. Rarely do two of us shower together; we each have our own full bathrooms. And when two people do, you want multiple shower heads so that no one is out in the cold, so to speak. If you have steam, a larger shower can make sense, but only if you really like to use steam. ( I have it and never do)

I find our showers at the beachhouse no less enjoyable. It seems to me we all take up the same space when we shower, regardless of how much is there. You want it to look and feel generous, but, just putting it out there, I am not sure you need to use 6' if that helps in your planning.

lisa_mocha thanked MtnRdRedux
  • roarah
    7 years ago

You can heat a bench... I think 3x5 or 4x5 is a perfect shower size and I do wish we went a bit smaller on ours. I am glad we have hand helds on both walls in our shower.

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

As a bath-taker, I'd eliminate any home without a bath. It seems I'm in the minority these days, though, I'm 30, so not an older demographic.

lisa_mocha thanked Renee Texas
  • tinam61
    7 years ago

What we prefer is a tub in the master (ours is a deeper than standard tub) and dual sinks. There is only the two of us and a full cabinet under each sink, with drawers between the cabinets, is plenty of space for the two of us. We have a good size linen closet in the master bath. We could have separate baths, but actually like sharing (probably wouldn't like it if it were too small tho). Do you have room in the bath for some sort of free-standing cabinet, dresser, etc. for towel storage?

lisa_mocha thanked tinam61
  • roarah
    7 years ago

Renee, would you consider houses that only had a hall bathroom with a bath? Or do you need that tub in the ensuite?

• sas95
    7 years ago

I can't imagine eliminating any house because it had or did not have a bath tub in the master if I otherwise liked the house. But I do agree that a huge shower is not a necessity, or always desirable.

We put a 4x6 shower in our master remodel. It was originally supposed to be smaller, but we have a huge bathroom and didn't want a tub, so the contractor suggested we do a larger shower. We are used to it now, but at first found it really drafty and very "exposing." My husband and I do not shower together, and neither of us have once sat on the bench.

We are happy that we did double sinks, though. While there is another convenient bathroom that one of us could use, we like getting ready together in the morning, and we are on the same schedule. Most mornings I am brushing my teeth while my husband is shaving, or something like that, so the double sinks are a feature that we actually use and it's not just for show or resale.

I visited a coworker's house after a remodel. They squeezed double sinks into a bathroom that was too small for both of them to stand in at the same time. It was kind of comical.

lisa_mocha thanked sas95
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

Since you have another bath, you're all set but, for houses that have no other bath, its a big deterrent to a buyer if they have small children. I'm one of the odd ducks that takes a bath five out of seven nights, I adore hot water lol.

lisa_mocha thanked Yayagal
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Well we remodeled, put an addition in, and built the bathroom that has all the features we wanted-which was a shower big enough to have a wide enough and large enough built in bench. a tub with a step ( I really need to sit down very often, having all sorts of dizziness etc..it's something that's not going to get better, so..), and an enclosed toilet (door and all). I must add they did screw up the framing when trying to fit it all:) They screwed up just a couple inches but it had a big effect..:)

But yes, we put a lot of time in finding the safest materials possible..and it's not slippery at all..and I marvel while in the shower and when sitting on that bench..the shower is big, yet the bench is not cold at all..I feel so much safer. I can't even tell you. We had regular tiles in our previous place..not textured like now(I chose very textured porcelain mosaics just for the shower floor)..and my husband put in a teak bench for me in our previous shower, and made it so it won't slip..and still I wouldn't sit on it because it felt like it would move..and so many times I could hardly stand there fearing that I'll fall..

I knew I wanted the step to the tub though since previous bath did have a step..I know that others find it dangerous, but to me, it's the safest way possible to get in/out that tub..

In short, everybody's needs are vastly different...I for example admire free standing tub but I wouldn't be happy using one. You can't please everyone, and you shouldn't too-it's your home..and as was said, if somebody falls in love with it-they'll buy it..

Just remember that a) what you need now-it's not necessarily what you'll continue to need or want in the future. Needs change. I was always clumsy but I didn't need all the special features I need now. Such is life. Or it might be great changes too-yet still changes.

and b) if you want too much-chances are somebody will screw up that framing..:)

lisa_mocha thanked aprilneverends
  • Errant_gw
    7 years ago

I am another one of those who does not like sharing a bathroom. Double sinks would not be something I'd use. Nor would I want to have to relocate to another bathroom to use a tub. Everyone has differing preferences, do what YOU would prefer :)

lisa_mocha thanked Errant_gw
  • Renee Texas
    7 years ago

@ Rorah, I need on in the Master's suite. I prefer a soaker, and the one we just installed is narrower than standard and 20in deep, with a ledge along the wall. Less water/heat, it's cultured marble white/white, and looks great, at $600 it's nothing super fancy, and this is in an area with a median price of 600k for homes.

I wouldn't want to walk across the house to sit in another tub just for my evening read, and the kids may not want to hear the water running on and off.

lisa_mocha thanked Renee Texas
  • roarah
    7 years ago

I have to ask those with soaking tubs, how deep are yours. I found the ones that were less than six feet long and although it was over a 21 inch climb to get in and out of,the actual water depth was only 13 inches, one or two went to 15 but my hall bath is over 18 inches of water depth for the same climb. This totally affected my choice. I looked into a Japanese style tub but felt insecure getting in and out, to high.... I most likely would have still picked storage over a tub but a deeper option would have been harder to walk away from.

• dedtired
    7 years ago

My Kohler Expanse tub us 18 inches deep. I'm not sure what the depth to the overflow drain is. I think the depth of the water is affected by the size of the person getting in it. If I filled mine as deep as I could, a large person might make the water go over the top. The one big drawback to this tub is that it completely empties the hot water heater in order to fill it. I love it for showers since it is wide and gives plenty of room for elbows.

lisa_mocha thanked dedtired
  • roarah
    7 years ago

The expanse I looked at, 60x32 had a water depth listed as 12 inches. I really only wanted a five by three ft area taken up by a tub so I may have limited my options. Before we added a tankless instant water heater in addition to our tank system I would fill our deep tub for the kids with a trickle of water as to not run out....they do use a ton of water but I often use jets in a shower which most likely in a ten minute uses as much and maybe more water than a tub :(.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

We did a major reno when we bought our weekend property back in 2015. One of the things we did was build a new maste rbath and convert the old one to a walk-in closet.

We decided to forgo the tub in place of a large shower and double sinks.

Like you, I use a tub maybe once a year, my DH maybe twice. We have two other full baths with tubs so weren't worried about having one in the master.

We did two shower heads - a rain shower and handheld. There's also a seat in the shower that we never use...lol..

I definitely prefer your second choice -forget the tub, get a large vanity and additional cabinet.

As far as resale, you're gonna have both kinds of people. But I think for most, it won't make or break a sale.

Oh, and if you have dogs, washing them is a breeze in a large shower..

lisa_mocha thanked Ellie RK
  • rebeccamomof123
    7 years ago

Ellie, that photo is priceless and the other dog is waiting so patiently for his turn to be washed :)

My soaking tub is the Kohler Archer which features a shorter than standard 19 inch 'step over' side (my elderly parents use this tub wen they visit, my dad has had double knee replacement so I wanted something easy for him to step into). with 21 inch depth. It also features a specialized raised slotted overflow that allows you to fill the tub extra deep with water. I had a hard time choosing acrylic over cast iron and I do find the acrylic never feels cold to lean against right away, where my cast iron is cold to the touch when I first get in.

lisa_mocha thanked rebeccamomof123
  • Fori
    7 years ago

I have recently discovered how great it is to wash a dog in a decent-sized shower instead of coaxing 80 lbs of No into a tub!

I do think a house needs a tub unless it is in a retirement community and even then, if there is more than one bathroom, it should have a tub. Kids is the main reason. Having to wash random large items is another. Can't get a trombone into a kitchen sink!

When I redo my tiny master bathroom, I won't replace the ~1990s tub. I've never used it--if I want a BATH, I use the kids' tub (1950s, cast iron, pink, and the perfect size). I don't know any adult who takes a bath regularly but that might be a regional thing along with brown lawns and short showers.

Build it for you!

lisa_mocha thanked Fori
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I am a bath devotee, and for most of my life, until I had kids, I started each day with a bath, not a shower. I know that makes me very unusual! Now I probably take a bath a few times a month. Personally I would not want a MBR suite without a tub.

lisa_mocha thanked MtnRdRedux
  • suero
    7 years ago

When we remodeled, we put in a large shower with separate heads and controls (one fixed, one handheld) and no bench. When surgery made it necessary for me to shower seated, I brought in a seat, which I was able to adjust to the right height for me. I was very glad that I had nixed a fixed height seat, because it wouldn't have been at the right height when I needed a seat in the shower.

We do not have a tub in the master. We do have two sinks, because DH and I use them at the same time. We also have towel storage in the bathroom. This works for us, and we have been very pleased with the result. Like many of the posters, we rarely take baths, and sacrificing space for something rarely used would not make sense to us.

lisa_mocha thanked suero
  • nicole___
    7 years ago

I just did a remodel that had 3 bathrooms. The master has a small shower, 30" vanity and storage. Then the other two bathrooms have tubs with showers. Have you considered a hand held shower? A free standing tub would be awesome!!!!

In my primary home I have a large jetted tub with a hand shower next to a large 3 sided fireplace. In a cold climate, with the flick of a switch, the fireplace gets used...as does the jetted tub....and marble flooring.

lisa_mocha thanked nicole___
  • jakkom
    7 years ago

>>a house needs a tub unless it is in a retirement community and even then, if there is more than one bathroom, it should have a tub>>

Hmmmm....maybe, maybe not. I'm 65 and like the majority of my friends, prefer showers. When we remodeled our MBa it has a custom shower and a double vanity, plus a matching 6' tall linen closet. Plus an alcove with another 3-drawer cabinet in that. I'm a firm believer in lots of storage, LOL.

My MIL loved baths, hated showers. When she moved to a nearby retirement facility, she had a choice - shower or bath, both with attendant. Eventually she gave up bathing for the walk-in shower, saying it was easier and faster.

One reason she moved: she was terrified of falling in the bathroom during her bath, when she lived with us. We thought about putting in one of those walk-in tubs, but she did use them at the senior facility instead before she switched to the shower. It's a reasonable alternative, but forget trying to wash a dog in them [smile]. They're pretty tight-fitting inside, with the built-in seat taking up a lot of interior volume.

I can tell you that when I broke my leg at age 54 (I was out gardening and fell on concrete stairs), it was IMPOSSIBLE to lift the cast high enough to step over the (rather short height) tub-shower on the main floor, at first. It was almost 5 weeks before I could do it, wrapping the cast in a plastic bag.

That tub is only 16" high at the rim - but it could have been a mile high as far as trying to get into it, when disabled.

My vote is double vanity, linen cabinet, shower (3x5 is ideal and I wish we had that). Add in safety bars and a good vent fan, too.

lisa_mocha thanked jakkom
  • lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, thank you so much everyone for the valuable responses. I'd anticipated there would be an equal divide of yay or nay on a tub.

Ellie RK~ Love your pic with the pups:) One waiting patiently for his/her turn:)

I think back to when we had to lug our 80 lb lab into the tub...oh what fun that was! It was a battle to get her in...a walk-in shower would be sooo much easier!!

I've relayed all of this great feedback to my husband who shrugs his shoulders and says whatever my preference is. He doesn't use a tub either. I might reach out to one of the local real estate agents to get her thoughts, but as so many of you have said, we should proceed with what works for us.

So, as it stands, we're now looking at larger vanity (not necessarily 2 sinks)

With the lay-out of the bathroom, having a larger shower does not impact the vanity or tub area. The toilet separates it and we're not having this re-plumbed, as becomes quite costly. (I think...but we're waiting for a quote from a 2nd contractor)

The 'battle' is really between tub/small vanity vs no tub/larger vanity and storage.

Many thanks again for all of your comments and for sharing your experiences:)!!

Stay tuned...I'll be coming to you again with product selections:)

• hooked123
    7 years ago

My husband and I have always hated tubs in the master bath. We both like big showers and vanities. We hate our huge tub and wish we could remove it.

lisa_mocha thanked hooked123
  • User
    7 years ago

Because homes sell fast in your neighborhood, even if the first two potential buyers are tub people, it seems a non tub person will come along rather quickly anyway, so I wouldn't give it a second thought. As someone else said, for every person who would be turned off because there was no tub, someone else would be turned off by no storage and a small vanity. Just design it for how you like it and someone else will love it!

I assume if someone wants a two sinks, they can just do a little work to your vanity area and add one. I think more people would want two sinks for a shared bathroom than a tub.

FWIW, in my neighborhood, I have an equal number of friends who are building with tubs and without. In my bathroom, I'm choosing a chaise instead of a tub because I'll use that much more, and instead, I'm going to have a bench big enough to lay down on in the steam shower if I want to relax.

lisa_mocha thanked User
  • hamamelis
    7 years ago

No tub for us, big shower, decent storage. But while I was at it, if space allowed I might design and run some plumbing so that a tub could be added pretty easily. If not possible, just no tub. :)

lisa_mocha thanked hamamelis
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Roarah I went ahead and measured our tub (it's narrower that the one we planned, due to this framing mistake..)) anyway it's 19 inches from the bottom to the upper edge. I'd say it's pretty deep which is cool..and it being narrower saves some water too-drought and all that..even though right now it looks that the drought went on vacation..:)

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

I would definitely go with the no tub, a large vanity and two sinks option. Two sinks are a BIG resale factor. That said, our MBR ensuite bathroom is quite large. It has a large 2-person spa tub . . . that we hardly ever use, as we are both much more daily shower people. The tub, honestly, is more for romantic evenings now and then. I am so not into regular baths, and always prefer showers instead. We have a long vanity with double sinks, which we love and very much appreciate. Under them are 6 drawers, 2 cabinets and 2 pull-outs for storage. We also have a large corner floor-to-almost-ceiling cab for linens, a built-in dressing table for me with more storage, and a private toilet closet. THAT was a huge and much appreciated idea of mine! Can you fit in one in your plans?

lisa_mocha thanked LynnNM
  • lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you again everyone for your feedback!

Building for the CATS-Yours sounds wonderful! Space for a chaise...perfection to sneak away and lock the door for some quiet time:)

LynnNM~We have no space for a water closet. If I had my way, I'd relocate the toilet, but too costly to do so. If I went with a 60"vanity, I'd potentially have room for little dressing table. I also have to be mindful of a tall linen closet as there's a window that runs almost the width of the bathroom and don't want to block it.(tub is under that window)

I'm still somewhat interested in a free standing tub, but practicality wise, we could sure use the extra space with a longer vanity. On the opposite wall, I've thought about a small storage unit for towels, similar to this PB silver one ( would not interfere with window above)

We had to delay contractor until Friday ( I'm swamped at work!!) so we'll see what he has to say about it all.

Thanks again all for your input:)