SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_socal

Losing Faith in My Crock Pot

sarah_socal
8 years ago

So I two fails this weekend, both with tried and trues but that are usually done in the oven - I thought I would try out the crockpot.

The first was for carnitas - usually done in my dutch oven for a few hours and then broiled a bit for crispness. Just didn't really work right. The recipe has you take the cooking liquid, reduce a bit, coat the meat and then the broil. There was just too much liquid. I usually LOVE these but this just didn't do it for me. I also make pulled pork in the CP with no issues (not all that different but somewhat).

The second was corned beef. I usually just cook forever on the stove. Figured why not try the crock pot? Again, just didn't work right. I think my mistake here was I should have left it on high rather than low - it just didn't seem to be cooked enough (even after several hours). I tested that theory last night - threw the leftovers into a pot on the stove and cooked some more and it was much better.

Have you done these in a crock pot? Do you modify things when you use a crock pot or was this just an off weekend of cooking?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations