SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Siphoning...my near-perfect streak just ended!

pqtex
8 years ago

It happens to all of us sooner or later. I followed the correct process and still had siphoning.

I canned 18 pints of collard greens last night, double stacked in my 23 qt presto canner with a rack between jars.

As I like my collards cooked in pork stock, I follow the soup guidelines of 50% solids and 50% liquid. I prepared the greens according to procedure and added them to the pork stock and heated according to directions.

Greens were not packed too tightly, and the jars were filled only half full with the solids to follow the rule before adding the stock. I removed air bubbles, wiped rims, adhered to the 1" headspace. I'm careful about regulating the pressure with tiny increments.

I followed all the venting time, processing time, cooldown time. The ONLY thing I'm aware of is after one hour elapsed (more than enough for my canner's return to zero pressure), I nudged the weight to verify pressure was zero ( I also have a gauge on this one, which I use to double check before I test the weight), and got a slight hiss, indicating pressure not at zero. I waited another 15 minutes before testing/removing the weight. I waited another 10 minutes before removing the lid.

I knew immediately there was siphoning due to the strong smell of the canned food and discoloration of the water. I carefully removed the jars and let them cool overnight. All of my jars sealed, but there is substantial liquid loss.

Almost all of my greens are still submerged in the stock because of the proportion of solids to liquids to begin with, and I know the product is safe because of the way I followed procedures, but it's still aggravating!

Comments (6)