SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Apple cider vinegar is ready--now what?

rredbbeard
8 years ago

I have a batch of ACV that I started about 10 weeks ago, and it finally smells like it's ready! It's actually 2 quart jars, started at the same time using organic macintosh, and the clear liquid is ~40% of the total volume:

I would like to know the preferred method of draining it, and how to have a good part of the mother in the finished product. Cheesecloth? A sieve? I've used a plastic strainer lined with a coffee filter for draining curds before, but I would probably have to scoop a little of the solid remains into the finished product.

Is there a use for the solids besides composting it? I'd love to hear what others do at this last stage of preparation.

I have a 3rd jar that I started with apples from my neighbor's neglected yard and tree, and this has formed a solid translucent disc on top, which I understand is another form of 'mother', and desirable. This batch will be ready soon, so, same questions as before, and what to do with this disc, which looks nice and clean. When I first noticed it, I would stir the fermenting solids carefully so as not to damage the disc, and make sure that the surface was wet with the developing vinegar. I'm starting 2 more quarts today, maybe in a larger jar, and have considered transferring the 'disc' to the new batch, probably with a spoonful of the solids from the previous batch. I'm guessing this will help assure that I get the right fermentation/organisms going? (I had 1 batch that failed because it smelled bad.)

I've been taking ~a tablespoon of Bragg's ACV almost daily 'just because', and have started fermenting other foods too--sauerkraut, yogurt, sourdough, etc. My kitchen smells great!

Comments, please?

Thanks!

Rick in CT

Comment