SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Apple cider vinegar and feline cystitis

rredbbeard
8 years ago

One of my 3 cats, all middle-aged and a little overweight, developed cystitis a few weeks ago, which the vet confirmed ($$$!) just to be sure. He was peeing outside of the litter pan, and there was a little blood, so I had to check with a professional of course! The vet was all set to get me into a series of expensive treatments and checkups.

Did I mention that I'm a frugal old yankee?

I went home and researched natural/homeopathic treatments for this urinary condition, which is painful and often fatal if untreated. ACV kept coming up as a good remedy, which produced relief quickly. I bought an organic brand of ACV at the healthfood store for ~$5 a pint, and learned 2 things:

1) ACV has been highly effective in treating my guy's cystitis, well worth the trouble of getting 1/4 tsp into an unwilling 17 pound sumo-cat. I did this 2x a day for just a couple of days, and the relief was complete and almost immediate.

Dozer, the sumo-cat:

2) Making your own organic ACV is so easy, you wonder how they get away charging so much for a pint bottle? Here's how to make your own: get 2 or 3 organic apples, enough to fill a 1 quart glass jar about 2/3 full. Wash the apples, and chop them very coarsely, skin, core, and all. You don't want the jar too full bc the mixture can expand a little. Always use a clean glass jar, not metal. Place the chopped apples in the jar, sprinkle 3/4 teaspoon of sugar on them, then add enough non-chlorinated water to cover the apples. Place a paper towel over the jar, and secure it to keep bugs etc out. Stir the mixture every day or so. This process takes about 3 months, at which point you can drain your finished vinegar into a storage bottle. It's ok for it to be murky as long as the smell is right...filtering is counterproductive.

This is a new project for me, and I'm no expert, but I'm very encouraged, not only by ACV's effectiveness, but also by the prospect of making my own. I started mine on Dec. 17, 2015, and the picture shows my 2 bottles as of today.

I filled my jars a little too full, which means I have to stir them more often to prevent an overflow. There is a pleasant faint smell to it. My neighbor has an old unkempt apple tree, and I'm hoping I can get a few apples next year to make vinegar. I'll probably use ~1 pint/month, so I'll start a new jar every month so I never run out.

I'm taking ~ 1 tbsp of ACV daily myself, slightly diluted. What's good for the cat is good for the servant--lol! Please let me know how this works for you!

--Rick in CT

Comments (3)