SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stinky_gardener

Saying Goodbye to a Cat

stinky-gardener
12 years ago

I need help! First, some background: My dear cat Jasmine who is 14 years old, has had chronic ear infections for the last 2 years. That's meant frequent trips to the vet, lots of different medicines, special foods. Nothing has really ever helped much. She even had surgery at one point. The ear itches a lot and she can scratch it until it bleeds. I know this has been awful for her.

Saturday morning, the day started normally. She went outside, which she loves. My car had a flat tire,so I called AAA. They soon came out to patch it. I looked for Jasmine and couldn't find her. I wanted her in the house before the repair person came, as she doesn't like to be around strangers. I found her collapsing in the drive way, not far from the repair person. I knew she wanted to flee, but she couldn't. I scooped her up, then put her on the floor when we went in the house. She collapsed again. I called the vet, they said to come right over. Tire fixed, I was there in 10 minutes.

X-rays were taken. She has arthritis, they told me. They cleaned her ear out for the 1500th time and gave her an injection of steroid. Yes, the ear infection was back (not a big surprise. It never goes away for long.) They also took blood for blood work.

I took Jasmine home and had to go back out about an hour later. Tire went flat again, called AAA to put spare on this time. 4 hours later, I was home. Jasmine was waiting at the top of the stairs. I scooped her up and took her downstairs, where she promptly started throwing up. Lots. Like 2 days of food! Then, as she walked I saw she was extremely wobbly, and the hind leg collapsed again. She seemed to have no equilibrium.

I don't have the blood work results yet, but I believe my cat is dying. She has not eaten since Friday (& she threw that food up Saturday.) She did drink some water this morning.

The wobbly walk is still going on. I pick her up and take her everywhere. She sits in the sunroom and seems content to listen to the birds and the pond noises. She purrs a lot and looks at me. She seems quite aware and lucid and alert, not lethargic or listless.

I am struggling. The cat is engaged with life...with me, dh, the environment. She doesn't seem uncomfortable when she is curled up in a chair. BUT, she is lame, suddenly, and she is not eating.

What do I do? When do I know it's time for euthanasia? What would you all do?

I can't tell you all how gut wrenching this is. I'm doing a lot of anticipatory grieving. Will the tears ever stop falling? Just when I think I'm "cried out," there comes another round.

The fullness of my emotions seem to be taking me beyond grief, into a realization that there is an irrevocable rupture of my world in the making. Jasmine may be *just* a cat, but she is as dear to me as any human loved one could be. I feel not only sad but even disoriented by the thought of living without her gentle, sweet presence around me.

I know I am a crazy cat lady!

Thanks for listening.

Comments (94)

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Amy! Well, your post was one to get me thinking about thinking more optimistically; to consider other possibilities. You are not the kind of person to say such things without carefully considering them. Guess I'm saying...I trust you (and think you have good instincts!)I'm sure I had a more open mind today when I was at the vet office because of that. I'm proceeding cautiously, but feeling like there's some hope now, yes. Thanks so much, Amy!

• barb5
    12 years ago

Yup, the med was methimazole.

• Related Discussions

If chrysalis is on a hard surface?

Q

Comments (2)
    I am very grateful to you for relieving my anxiety. Even more so, I wanted to let you know that I love your website. Not only is it a rich source of information, but your writing style is wonderful!
    ...See More

Saying goodbye to fur babies is hard.

Q

Comments (27)
    I'm also typing with tears in my eyes...I think this has to be one of the toughest times in our lives... Just yesterday, when I got to the Meals on Wheels kitchen, the gal that lives right next door told me, Charley, her brown lab was dying....We've known Charley wasn't well, but you just don't want to think of the end...Every morning, Charley and his momma would be walking in the parking lot and we always had treats for him...If we happen not to be out when he had his walk, we put the treats on the back bumper and if he didn't see one of us, he go straight to the car....Life can be so hard but remember all those good times...We know Charley will be in doggie heaven getting his treats every day..... Thinking about you, Patti
    ...See More

It is hard to say goodbye

Q

Comments (10)
    We did end up getting another dog yesterday and she fits in perfectly and is sweet. We were outside and a neighbour came to see her and asked about Sheba and I had to tell her she died and I still felt like crying. I am glad this new dog isn't replacing her afterall - which was what I was afraid of. When I reflect back on her it's on the prime of her life and not the last few months when she aged so quickly. I hope to post a pic of our new girl who isn't named yet - we have Winnie, Pepper and Clover and can't decide. Having a dog is the best, unless you're a cat, specifically our cat! Hope it gets better soon for him.
    ...See More

Say goodbye to July, and hello to August 2022

Q

Comments (41)
    All I see in our forecast is 90s and no rain. However, 90s are a lot better than 100s. We're also taking it easy and staying out of the heat, Larry. I'll go out and water in a few minutes. May try to take a short walk. I have a cold--but just a rather insignificant one. Cough, which is improved by taking night-time antihistamine. Awesome about our cucumber production, Kim. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around your garden. Is it mostly in containers? I clean the way you do, Jennifer, when I'm cooking. I actually learned to do that after my DIL's example, only about 30 years ago. And I don't like sharing the kitchen with anyone while I'm cooking, I've learned. I guess that's understandable since I was living alone for 30 years. Our pets don't really act up when we get home. They're pretty snuggly. Titan--hard to say. He's always glad to see us, but quickly calms down. Tom's the only one who shows quite clearly that we were missed. What a psychol. Meow, meow, meow!!! Neurotic "Where WERE you" meows. I don't plan to plant anything, or do anything outdoors, until it cools down a bit more. And then, mostly, only plans will be to weed, though I definitely will need greens, if nothing else. HJ--your question about where we'd move stumped me! Never even considered THAT. Good question. No doubt would only be one of three places--back to Wyoming, back to Minneapolis area, or here in NE OK. That will be something fun to think about.
    ...See More
  • natal
    12 years ago

Stinky, I'm glad I kept reading instead of responding early on. Hoping for the best for your sweet baby. Have you tried feeding her baby food? I always had luck with some of the meats ... ham, beef, & chicken.

Marlene, so sorry to hear about Sophie, but you've obviously given her a great life! We had one of those "consider putting him down" diagnoses with Mort when he was 8 years old. He lived to be 18. It's amazing what TLC can do.

• whitdobe
    12 years ago

I'm so glad that Jasmine is showing some improvement! It's just so hard to take when one a well loved dog or cat becomes so ill. I hope the new meds continue to help her and she's feeling very well soon.

I'll second the baby food. I actually keep the little glass bottles of chicken, beef and turkey in my freezer for my dog. Jovi wasn't a fan of having her coat brushed so, I would give her a jar of frozen baby food to lick when I did it. She's OK with the brushing now so the frozen baby food is just for a treat and in this hot weather she really enjoys it.

• amysrq
    12 years ago

Just checking in...how is Jasmine today? How is Mom?

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Just checking -- can I get in? Strange password request thing today, like g'web didn't recognize me anymore. Just went in through the front page and let's see if I make it in the HD door.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Ah, it's o.k.! Now to the important stuff...how is Jasmine?

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning!

Natal, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate hearing from you! Will pick up a few jars of baby food to try. Have had good luck this week with the tiny cans of Fancy Feast. The stinkier the meal the better! This morning's Trout Feast was very light, & not as appealing as the more pungent varieties!

Whitdobe, how nice of you to think about us! I know you are an animal lover who has had many dogs, but with your spotless, beautifully decorated house, one would never know it. Don't know how you manage it!

Amy...how sweet of you to check back in on us! Sorry I missed you. Was exhausted yesterday & didn't make it to the computer.

Flyleft, how nice of you! It means so much that you're thinking of us!

Well, Jasmine has been eating very well the last few days. Yesterday especially, she ate like a truck driver at Denny's. Unfortunately, she's still walking like a drunken sailor, so I need to keep a very close eye on her!

She has successfully ascended and descended the stairs a few times without incident, but also has moments when she can't make it up one stair without taking a tumble. She also tumbled out of a chair the other day, but usually does fine getting in & out of the chair. Her level of stability is sporadic. She still has a wobbly walk, yet it has improved since the weekend.

Here's my take on this. I'm not worried about the thyroid condition. It's easily treatable. No sweat. Her labs look great...no kidney or liver damage, nothing askew but the thyroid. Body temp is normal, even with some weight loss, her weight is in the normal range. Her coat has never looked better since I started feeding her the soft food!

I have a pretty healthy cat on my hands it appears...with a stubborn, vexing, chronic ear problem that is literally throwing her off balance, causing her pain, and impacting on both of our lives.

Tuesday, my vet wanted to inject anti-nausea medication in response to the vertigo! I said no, I didn't think she needed that. I didn't go to vet school, but it seems clear that the ear problem is the cause of the instability, not nausea!

I'm going to take her tomorrow across town to another vet. He was educated at the same place as my previous, favorite vet in PA. I know, he could still not be so great! It's the person, not the school that makes a vet good. Still, I want to hear what someone else has to say about the ear.

We had a polyp removed 1.5 years ago & it has grown back. We remove it again, it could still return. There is the option of removing the entire ear canal, which would mean the polyps could not return, but it is very delicate, difficult surgery, and the recovery process is daunting: Elizabethan collar, draining the wound, discomfort etc., for weeks.

I will let ya'll know what this fellow has to say! Keep your fingers crossed for us tomorrow morning! Thanks so much for the concern and TLC!

• lizzie_grow
    12 years ago

I wonder if they have anti=vertigo meds such as meclazine for kitties. It wouldn't be a cure, but it might give her some comfort and you peace of mind if she's not so wobbly.

It's always tricky to know how far to go with her treating these little friends of ours and what is best for their quality of life.

My thoughts are with you.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

I'm so glad she's back in the land of the living! Meclizine is definitely given to cats -- we give it to our cat on an as-needed basis when she gets too barfy. It's just symptomatic, but if Jasmine is throwing up from her vertigo it could help her keep food down, which is essential. And if you really want to feel some soft fur, try adding fish oil to her food. *Lovely* : )

• marlene_2007
    12 years ago

I've been thinking about you and Jasmine every day and hope Jasmine and you are doing well.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I've been thinking about you and Jasmine too and checking in here everyday. I'm so happy you still have her.

• amj0517
    12 years ago

Sending good thoughts to Jasmine and Stinky. I hope all is well.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How nice of you ladies! Lizzie, Flyleft, Marlene and Bumblebeez, I SO appreciate your thoughts... and checking in on us!

I don't know what to think at this point, frankly! I am feeling rather dazed & confused by all this. Jasmine is all over the map! This week has been something!

Saturday's trip to the vet was interesting. This doc thinks Jasmine had a stroke, which resulted in the wobbly walk and collapse. He said it appears she is recovering from it, and cats often do recover fairly quickly and well post stroke. He palpitated much more than my other vet, and said her kidneys felt small. He said that a lab report could show a normal function for kidneys, while they are working at 25% their usual level. So much for putting a lot of stock into the good lab results! Ditto for liver functioning, etc.

Dr. Johnson did not come to any conclusions. He did say he would NOT recommend doing the total ear canal removal. Jasmine is too old for such major surgery in his view. He is not even very enthusiastic about doing another polyp removal since the first one grew back so quickly.

He gave me another oral antibiotic to treat the ear with (which I have not given her yet...) and another liquid topical to put in her ear, which I have done a couple of times.

He noticed that she was not using the potty so to speak, and gave her an enema (sorry it I'm grossing anyone out!) He said her appetite would diminish and she'd probably spit up. Both predictions have held true. She has only had a nibble of food since Saturday, but has been drinking a little bit of water. She has spit up (not vomiting) a few times too.

Her mobility seems much better. She is less wobbly and is up and down stairs on her own, and in and out of furniture several times a day. So there's good news with that.

She needs to eat and use the potty though, and needs to be doing both on a regular basis, yes? I ran up to the store this morning and got more food. Tried 3 new varieties when I got home, but she'd have nothing to do with any of it!

So, the saga continues. I need to keep treating the ear, giving the thyroid med, and trying to get her to eat, drink, and potty. I have my work cut out for me. She still purrs a lot and looks so pretty and bright-eyed, which only adds to my confusion. I wish I could ask her how she feels. As others have said, I hope she will tell me when she's had enough!

Thanks again for the concern!

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Amj, I missed you while I was typing! Thanks so much. You've been a dear.

• marlene_2007
    12 years ago

Stinky, just thinking about you and hoping you and your precious Jasmine are doing well.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

marlene, I was wondering about Stinky and Jasmine too and hoping things were going well--

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, it's so sweet of you to express your concern about us, Marlene! I've been thinking about you and Sophie too! Please give an update when you can.

Nancy, our sweet California lady, thank you for your lovely thoughts!

It took 6 days after that dreadful enema for Jasmine to eat again! Called my vet the Thursday after that Saturday and he suggested an injection of pain medicine in response to the lack of eating. I didn't go forward with it.

That very night though, she started eating again & has been eating pretty well ever since. She takes an occasional drink of water too, sometimes quite a good, long guzzle!

She's pretty steady on her feet, up & down the stairs, in & out of furniture. She wants to go out, but I don't let her out anymore.

Here's the bad part. I was up all night over this...the ear...what a chronic, awful problem it is. Last night I saw how she'd scratched it badly, probably worse than ever. She wants to still go under the bed & retreat there for hours, & I suspect it's due to the pain from the ear. This morning, I closed the bedroom door and she's sitting next to me at this moment, seemingly content. If I hadn't closed the door though, after her hearty breakfast (she eats the most in the morning) she'd be under the bed until the evening!

I don't want to put my cat to sleep over an ear problem! I could remove the polyp a second time (another $1200) but it grew back very quickly last time...there's a 75% chance it will again.

I don't know what to do! Vets are not much help. I am angry, frankly. Since all this started, not once has a tech called to follow up and ask how she (we) are!

The second opinion vet's office has left 3 messages and sent 3 post cards. I called them one day and they suggested a battery of tests...more blood work, x-rays, ultrasound, etc. Come on, I just did that at the other place & they know it!

It seems like vet "care" is such a racket here. Sorry I sound so sour, but I've spent so many $$$ on ear & general cat care at this one office, and they don't feel moved to give me a call? Last they heard, my cat hadn't eaten for 6 days. For all they know she's dead as a door nail! Nice! Makes me feel so alone in all this (so the support here really means a lot!)

About a week after all this began with Jasmine, I got a call from my sister who was diagnosed with breast & lung cancer last year. She had mastectomy & a lung removed, chemo & radiation, &...was announced cured with clean follow-up tests! Well, her bi-annual chest x-ray revealed a mass on a lymph node near her collar bone. Long story short, she must have surgery & go through chemo & radiation again! They are calling this metastisis, but don't know yet whether it came from the breast or the lung.

She closes on the (difficult) sale of her house July 15, the day owners take possession. So, she'll be moving into an apt. until October, when the house she bought in another town (on the water) is finished being renovated.

There is so much going on. Believe me, the buyers are getting the deal of the century on her beautiful house, but have continued to make demands, some petty, some pricey. My sister has done what they ask, as she just wants to get the sale over with and move on. So unfortunate, the greediness and unpleasantness she's had to endure.

Sorry this was so long...and I went into other details unrelated to the subject at hand.

Thanks again Marlene and Nancy...you're probably sorry you asked, LOL!

• teacats
    12 years ago

SG: Sending along big hugs and much love to you and your cat ....

and I must (and with all of my deepest regret as you know) repeat my feelings above ....

It is time to let her go.

As for the vet -- send them a letter -- a real heartfelt letter about their lack of customer care.

As for your sister -- I am sending along more hugs and best thoughts for her recovery. And good thoughts for her move too.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• bestyears
    12 years ago

Hi S-G,
    My husband just got a terrible bite of some kind on his foot, and his foot has swollen to about twice its size. Could have been a spider, an insect, etc. The doctor told us yesterday, "It doesn't really matter, what you are dealing with is an infection, so that's how we treat it." It made me think of your kitty when I read your update. The polyp is no doubt causing the discomfort, not because of the polyp itself, but because the ear doesn't drain and clear itself properly as a result. So I looked on Dr. Fox's site (he's a great online and published veterinarian). I found something that may help you keep the ear clean, and thus improve your cat's comfort level! And it doesn't cost much! Hope it helps....

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Fox's ear cleaning

• amj0517
    12 years ago

SG - I'm so sorry to hear of what you're going through right now. I've been there (with an ill pet and a sister battling cancer) and no "advice" can give you the answers you're looking for. It is nice to be heard, but you'll know in your heart what needs to be done. Just know that we're all thinking of you and your family (Jasmine included, of course!).

• marlene_2007
    12 years ago

Oh Stinky...I am NOT sorry I asked! I am so sorry you and your loved ones are going through all of this.

I understand your frustration and anger. As though things aren't difficult enough, others have to add to it by being cold and uncaring and thoughtless.

I really don't have any advice for you about Jasmine. It is so hard to see our loved ones suffer and feel helpless and not know if we have made and will make the right decisions for their care.

Thank you so much for asking about my little girl, Sofie. Ten days ago she let us know it was time....so we had the doctor come to the house and helped her leave. It's been terribly painful for us because we miss her so, but we know we made the right decision. I will always miss her and love her and wouldn't give up any of the sadness and heartbreak I am feeling for all the wonderful years we had with Sofie.

Please feel free to email me if you need to talk.

• whitdobe
    12 years ago

Oh my Stinky, I opened this thread hoping to read that Jasmine was doing better. I'm glad she's eating again but I'm really sorry that you're having those vet issues. It's really terrible that she's having such an issue with that ear and the vets seem to be more interested in making money.

And your sister...I'm so sorry. What a difficult time for you. I wish your sister the best and pray she comes through the surgery and chemo/radiation free of cancer!

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awww...Teacats! Sending you hugs back. Thanks for the kind thoughts sent for Jasmine and my sister. You're such a sincere, authentic, sweet lady. I'll think about what you're suggesting regarding Jasmine. I don't want her to suffer.

Bestyears, thanks so much for your reply! You are exactly right about the impact the polyp has on the ear. You described it perfectly. Will try the vinegar wash; thanks for the link! It was SO nice of you to find that for me!Sorry to hear your poor dh ecountered such a bad bite...ouch! Hope his foot is all better asap!

Amj, thank you so much for your empathy and concern. You're so thoughtful. I really feel your support coming through cyberspace! You are so correct...it IS nice to be heard!

Dear Marlene...I'm so sorry that you had to say goodbye to Sophie. I know you miss her so much! I am so glad that you have peace and comfort from knowing that the time was right. You did what was best for Sophie. That took a lot of courage! I offer you my sincere condolences as you grieve. Thank you for taking time from YOUR pain and concerns to think about me, reach out, and listen once again! You're a very special lady, Marlene!

Whitdobe, how nice of you to check in. I so appreciate your concern. Yes, every where I turn these days it seems that it's all about money. I think we live in a different world than we did even 10 years ago due to this crazy economy, but I digress. Thanks for the good wishes and prayers for my sister!

All of the kindess shown here means the world to me. You ladies restore my faith that goodness and generosity of spirit still exist in the world. Thanks!

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

SG- The problems with the vets sound so frustrating. And for your sister's cancer to recur is so sad and scary- I can't imagine how much worry this must cause you. Like so many others here who think so much of you, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

I hope things start to get much better for you soon.

• User
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry this is all going on. It's frustrating when a vet doesn't go out of their way to follow up. It's just comforting.

I'm very sorry to hear about your sister too. Keep your head up SG, things will get better.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

SG-please let us know if the ear wash works -also, elsewhere on Dr. Fox's website, he talks about feeding cats 1/4 cup of plain, unsweetened yogurt 2x a week. It is good for their general health, and also for any fungus or yeast infections they may have going on -would be another easy, inexpensive idea, and kitty may like it!

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your kindness and understanding, Nancy! You really have the gift of empathy. You're an angel.

Sheesharee, yes, follow-up from a vet's office, especially when an animal appears to be "knocking on death's door," would seem appropriate & professional and would have been comforting, and appreciated.

I will "keep my head up!" Thanks for the encouragement! I will remember that you said that when I'm having a down moment! I do have my sad moments, but overall, I am doing okay. Above all, I hope I can be of help to my sister in the coming months and do the right thing for Jasmine. I know you understand, as you have those precious kitties of your own and strike me as being very family-oriented.

Bestyears, I will let you know what happens. Thanks again!

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

SG, blessings and prayers for your sister, Jasmine and all your family.

I'm so glad you're willing to explore the vinegar idea. As I said before, apple cider vinegar is a natural remedy that works! Also, highly recommend the organic unsweetened yogurt course.

Please keep us posted.

• natal
    12 years ago

Teacats, no one has the right to tell someone else when it's time.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Abundantblessings, thank you for your prayers. I did miss your reference to vinegar in your previous post. I think I tuned in more to the comforting spiritual message you shared and wrote about so beautifully, so thanks for pointing that out again!

Natal, Teacats' intentions are good. I have to face the music that even an ear problem, if it leads to extreme suffering, could be reason enough to let go of a beloved animal. I don't want to keep her around if she's just suffering and enduring pain.

Natal, I know that you are a cat lover & are owned by a cat (no such thing as a "cat owner" is there?) Would you do the polyp removal again if you were in my shoes? As Bestyears points out, the polyp is blocking the canal. I can't get the good stuff from medicines and washes past the polyp to do any good. Also, as she pointed out, there is no way for the bad stuff to get completely out.

I know it could (& probably will) grow back. How soon? Could be a matter of months. So, she could get 6 months to a year of relief I suppose. Maybe, if we were really lucky this time, there would be longer-lasting benefits.

WWYD as far the surgery is concerned? Thanks for any thoughts you have time to share.

• amj0517
    12 years ago

"WWYD as far the surgery is concerned?"

I've never had a cat, always dogs, so I don't know a lot about them. But, what is the life-expectancy of a cat? That sounds like a harsh question, but when my dog was getting sick in old age we did an emergency surgery for her, which prolonged her life about two years. But honestly, they weren't "quality" years. This was when she was 14. I had the option to do another surgery when she was 15 but I took the "hospice" approach. I decided that a surgery could be too much, so instead, I decided to let nature takes its course (as long as she wasn't in pain). She just existed towards the end, which was fine.

There was a turning point where I knew that she was suffering and it was too much. We had her put to sleep. It was awful, but looking back, I think I did the right thing for her.

If Jasmine is young enough to where another surgery would give her a lengthy and quality life, then I'd do it if I were in your position. But if she is considered "old" already it may be best to let nature takes its course.

Just my 2-cents.

I wish you luck during this time. It is a very hard to make decisions for a life.

• natal
    12 years ago

I understand her intentions ... just don't feel it's appropriate to make a pronouncement like that for another.

Jake had a tumor on his hind leg. We had it removed. It grew back. We opted to amputate the leg in the hopes that would buy him more time. He adapted very well after the surgery, but developed problems down the road from the medications he was taking. About nine months later we had to put him to sleep. Always a tough decision, but one that only a family can make.

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

SG, would you consider consulting with a vet school in MD? I think either would be much easier to get to than Blacksburg, and may be able to do the surgery for far less if that's the route to go. If not, perhaps you'd find a good holistic specialist in Richmond or NOVA that would have better insight that the local vets. The drive may not be one you'd want to make for routine treatment, but certainly doable in this instance.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

I'd like to put in a seconding vote for trying any and all alternative treatments for the ear problem before deciding that you should euthanize Jasmine. But I've said that before. Mainstream vets are like mainstream doctors. Their information is helpful sometimes, but is BY NO MEANS the only path to health.

And I also second the energies coming to you and your sister. People can be like vultures recently wrt real estate. It brings out the worst in them, because they think if they can get this much of a deal, they can get more. and more...and just never want to stop. They forget that they are dealing with fellow human beings on the other end of the bargain. In times like this we need to remember our humanity because all around us is pressure to grab what you can right now and run, rather than build community for the future...

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Amj, thanks for checking back! I hear what you're saying. Yes, Jasmine at 14 is an old cat. Average lifespan for felines is 14-17 years.

Natal, you obviously loved little Jake enormously. Clearly, you did all you could do, and went to great lengths to save him and help him to lead a good life. I know it must have been so hard to say goodbye when the time arrived. Thank you for sharing your story.

Hi again, Abundantblessings! Thanks, that's a good suggestion to go to a vet school. However, with my dh's very, very full work schedule, and my limited driving range (no highway driving!) I don't think we could manage to do it. I so appreciate your thoughts and concern. (Btw, did you ever visit Williamsburg?)

Flyleft, good to see you! You know I can't find your silver product around here, so maybe the vinegar is another natural remedy to try?

Thanks SO much for the thoughts you shared regarding my sister's real estate experience. You sound very aware of the economy's effect on some people's approach to business. It's a different world than it was even 11 years ago when my sister last sold a house in Seattle and bought this one in Virginia.

Sis has bought and sold a number of houses over her lifetime. She told her real estate agent that she'd never experienced the pettiness, rudeness and greediness that she endured with this current deal. Her agent responded, "It's the market."

I have sensed, as you suggested, that unlike past more civil buyer's markets, there can be a mean-spirited mentality among buyers today who are looking for a "steal," not just a good deal.

Thanks for the reality testing!

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Stinky, this is OT, but we have something in common: we don't like to drive on highways. I won't do it unless I absolutely have to because it makes me feel so anxious and panicky! Maybe I should post about it on Sable's anxiety thread- perhaps there are others and we could encourage each other!

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

Yes, SG, we toyed with the idea of moving there but wound up in the western fringes of NOVA before moving south again. If I were closer I'd drive you and Jasmine, but maybe there's a holistic vet in one of the seven cities. Pick up an alternative medicine flyer and you may see an ad, but someone should be listed on the internet. If not, maybe call one in a bigger area for a local referral.

Yes, totally understand what you and fly mean about the pervasive mean-spiritedness replacing a sense of responsibility for promoting the common good. All one can do is try to live in a manner that contributes to the best outcome for all concerned. Hope your sister is able to totally release this stress and focus on healing.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Nancy! Thanks for sharing your "driving on the highway anxiety" with me!

I've thought about this issue a lot over the years, and think I have arrived at the reason why I am the way I am in this regard. I even think I know how I could help myself out of it!

I've come to the conclusion that I project a lot of old, unfinished, repressed fear onto driving. It's not even driving at all that scares me, iykwim!

What would help? Imo, the only way out is through it! Unfortunately, poor driving can impact on others, and I don't want to do anything that endangers anyone else. (Maybe that's why my subconscious chose driving to be afraid of...I can blame my reluctance to do anything about it on caring about others' safety!)

But seriously, the only way to conquer the fear, imo, is to face it, & truly allow myself to feel that horrible, awful, sickening feeling that literally makes me feel like I'm going to die, and let it roll through me. I need to do this a few times. I would then see at the end of the road (literally) that I made it (hopefully!)

In a way, this post is not OT at all, because this topic connects to how we approach life, our pain, our fears, which is very much in line with my original post's intentions. I mean, we can choose to express our vulnerability, speak out loud about something we are anxious about, and reach out to others, or we can burden ourselves with impossible standards in a quest to appear "perfect" and "together," unfazed by anything life dishes up.

Certainly, the pain I have been feeling about possibly losing my cat and seeing my sister's cancer return, has lead me here, where people have shared and cared and offered so much wisdom and tenderness. I treasure that.

Then, I learn...Nancy and I don't choose to drive on the highway right now, but if we look our fears in the eye and share them, maybe one day they won't seem so big and scary! We might both look up and find ourselves driving where we didn't imagine we could before.

We can face whatever life asks of us with a little help from our friends!

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Abundantblessings, it's so, so nice of you to even think of driving us! You're so sweet.

You left NOVA and headed further south...in VA or another state? (if I may be so nosy!) Hope you're enjoying wherever you relocated!

Thanks for remarking about the challenging times in which we live. Yes, all we can do is take responsibility for our own actions and roll with the punches!

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Stinky, you are so eloquent. "The pain I have been feeling about possibly losing my cat and seeing my sister's cancer return, has led me here, where people have cared and shared and offered so much wisdom and tenderness. I treasure that."

Isn't it amazing that people can truly feel caring for others across all these miles, without ever seeing them or hearing their voices?

The help and encouragement people give each other here is heartfelt, and to use your words, I treasure it too.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

stinky, not much time today but it's easily available online. Google 'sovereign silver' and you'll find it. If you decide you like the way it works, and you want to make it much less expensively, go to silverpuppy.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: one link among many--good luck

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, Flyleft!

• barb5
    12 years ago

Is surgery the only avenue to treating the polyp?

Can it be ligated? That is, a band put tightly around it at it's base to starve its blood supply?

If that could be done, it would be alot less invasive than surgery, and probably much less expensive too.

Just a thought. Couldn't hurt to ask a vet.

• barb5
    12 years ago

I'm in NO way suggesting to anyone reading my post above, that they try this themselves as a home remedy. I have NO idea if this could work, and would ask a vet and have THE VET do it if they felt it was feasible.

Talking about anxiety attacks......having one right now thinking someone will misinterpret my post.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Barb! Thanks for checking back.

There are two ways to take it out. He can pull it from the top and hope he gets the whole thing with one tug & that it doesn't break off (a little cheaper) or he can pull it with the forceps from the base, insuring he gets the whole thing. He must use a fancy camera to do that (expensive.) That second way is what we did it last time. I swear, I think it started growing back in a month! Maybe we'd be luckier this go 'round!

LOL, relax, no one is going to think you're saying to try this at home...you're so funny. If it made you feel better to clarify, good, I'm glad you got that off your chest!

I'll never forget your beautiful butterfly story, Barb! It puts tears in my eyes just now as I think about it. By sharing it, you gave me a sweet story to build a dream on that I can find comfort in. Thanks.

• amj0517
    12 years ago

How's is everybody doing? No news is good news I hope.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Wow your cat's ear problems are like dejevu' to me! I so much wish I saw this earlier.

The very last cat that I had was cursed w/ chronic ear infections. Nothing ever seemed to conquer them for good. Everyday was a cleaning ritual for years.

I went on vacation and left her in the care of ex-SIL and it wasn't good. I gave explicit instruction that she must physically see her everyday and check the ear. She did not do that. When I came home I was sure that dear kitty was at deaths door. Seizing, couldn't stand up, falling, eyes rolling and twitching, nothing left in her to vomit anymore. I couldn't imagine what had happened and I swear I couldn't breathe a full breath until I could get her to my vet.

Turned out it was her ear infection and swelling gone haywire in her head throwing off her equilibrium, making her then not want to eat and it just created a vicious circle. Antibiotics cleared her right up. I had to hand feed her for a few days and ritual ear cleanings went to a new high twice a day along w/ an on/ off antibiotic program for the next few years. Kidney failure finally took her from us but she was a ripe 18yrs old.

Honestly - I never met (virtual or otherwise) anybody else who had a cat w/ such ear infections!

Good luck to you and hugs!

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

I had a cat once who had FIV and he was plagued with an ear problem. When I first found him he had a tummor the size of a gulf ball growing out of his ear, no kidding. I had it removed and it turned out not to be cancer. A while later when I brought him back for a check up the vet the tumor looked like it was coming back, so we took it out again. Then the third time it looked like it was coming back, it dissappeared and never formed again. He was not plagued with the infections you speak of however. I hope he's doing OK.

Is the vet giving you ear drops that have cortizone in them to help with the itching? Would an ear powder help to dry out the ear canal? Moisture breeds bacteria.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Thanks Amj, Ttodd and HIWTHI! Haven't been over here in a while...missed your lovely posts. I'm researching bathroom items (tubs, toilets, etc.) & went to the bath forum today. So glad I did, & checked over here while I was at it!

Amj, Jasmine is doing really well. About the same as before the dramatic incident! True, the ear situation continues as before as well, but she is eating, drinking & "using her box" regularly. She moves with agility and is steady on her feet.

Feel I've been given a second chance with her...who knows how long it will last? However much longer she's with us, I appreciate her presence in my life more than ever!

As for my sister, she will soon begin radiation & chemo. This time, she must have both therapies simultaneously. Last year she had them separately, with a short break between the two. Having them together sounds brutal, but her doc thinks she's tough enough to endure it, and this will be the most effective treatment for her particular cancer, which metasized from her lung. I feel so sorry that she must go through such a grueling treatment, but am elated that there is a way to address what she is diagnosed with. Her doctor is optimistic for the short term and the long term using this therapy. Thanks for asking, & for thinking about us, Amj. You are really a sweetheart!

Ttodd, thank you SO much for sharing your cat's ear history! I've never met anyone with a cat who had such severe ear issues either! Amazing. Glad your kitty lived on to enjoy a long, happy life! 18 years is really a long time for a kitty to live! I appreciate your good wishes, & send you a hug back!

HIWTHI, thank you for sharing your story too. We are currently using Prednisone, an oral steroid, for itch relief, and I have some drops that she sometimes lets me put in. She's a tough customer these days as far as letting me touch the ear...I'm not pushing it either. Just glad she's doing the basics again! Never thought I'd be so thrilled to see a kitty eat, drink & potty. I'm so grateful for this time with my little fur-baby! Thanks again for your thoughtful reply.

I believe my sister will do well, but has a rough patch to go through with her treatment first. Now that her house is sold, she's living in a tiny, three-room apt. until her house on the water is finished being renovated in October. At first I thought this whole house sale/house purchase/reno thing was miserable timing, but now I think re-doing a house gives her a lot to look forward to. I think that's really important, & now see it, even with all the chaos it's introduced, as a blessing!