SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Machine dough sprawling instead of puffing up in freeform loaves..

beesneeds
8 years ago

I'm having a problem with a lot of my larger doughs. I say larger because when I do up roll sized baking, my rolls are always perfectly puffed up and never sprawl...

Problem is, my loaves always sprawl, and never puff up. Italian bread, soda bread, various kinds of wheat breads.. rounds and pulled out loaves.. they all tend to sprawl instead of looking like those perky and perfectly puffed up photo versions of the same recipes. They always double up great. I should note that this sprawl is always worst over a 1 lb loaf to a 2 lb loaf size. I tend to do 1 1/2-2 pound loaves due to the family needs.
But instead of a loaf being 8 inch round and 4-6 inch high, it's more like 12 inch round and 3-5 inch high. Or a 24 inch long 4 inch strand ends up being 18 inch long and 6-8 inch spread. Again, the doubling in proofing is perfect, it's the sprawling instead of puffing I'm having a problem with.

So what do I need to address? Is it a bit more flour, or mixing time, or proofing time the first time.. Do I always need to work in 1 lb batches for the second proofing? Am I not punching down and shaping up my dough enough between the first and second proof? Am I skimping on resting time after turning dough out of the machine for loaves vs how much time rolls take? Is this just a problem of machine dough, and the pics I find all over the place just aren't quite right?

I never bake off in the bread machine anymore, but I adore it as a bread dough maker. I've finally gotten all the different types of proofing/baking pans down for baking off. But freeform is seriously messing with me.

Comments (10)