SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

My Sourdough Starter

dieseler
15 years ago

Just for the heck of it the Boudin bread i recieved i tried something to have fun with. Here is what i did.

Thursday afternoon before i warmed up bread in oven I took a sterilized mason and put a tablespoon of floor a slightly smaller amount of water opened the knotted plastic bag and took bread out of the inner paper bag for first time and put paper bag over mason jar and puffed it into the jar the air then quickly covered with plastic wrap. I cut bread in half and pulled out a piece of the inside and dropped in jar and let sit till friday morning about 6am . At that time in morning i opened jar and smelled, an odor of sour milk was what i smelled, i was going to throw out but instead added 2 tablespoon of flour and slightly less water covered and put in oven with light on. That afternoon i uncovered mason jar and put in a quarter cup of flour and water, the sour milk smell was less, toward evening when i looked at the jar i saw a few bubbles on top, I fed it a half cup of flour and water and then went to sleep , woke up this morning and looked and there is a nice froth on top , i stirred and smelled it there is no stale milk smell, so i fed it again. The piece of bread i orginally put in did break up as i stirred each time when fed and there is no trace of the bread in the jar anymore. I have bought flakes online before to activate and also made my own starter as well but for some reason when i tried this for the heck of it i was surprised how fast i saw a reaction. I started this process around 2 pm Thursday and about 6 pm Friday is when i first saw the bubbles which surprised me. As of now i just took another mason jar but larger and will sterilize it for this afternoon so i can keep adding volume to this starter and hopefully make bread from it soon to see what it taste like and if i like it i might try to dry some as well which i never did before. Sadly the starter i originally made a few years back went down the drain recently when i was feeding the one i had bought online and tranfering it to another clean jar and got mixed up and somehow dumped this one out thinking it was the online 1 as i was cutting it in half to feed, i was in shock when i realized what i had done. But i can always make more .

Martin

Comments (13)