SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

A basket of Jalapenos for Fermented Hot Sauce

This morning, I was forced to pick all my jalapenos because we are armed with Merrit foliar spray (75% systemic Imacloprid, not cheap or readily available, but..our vineyard needs it, so our peppers will share in the blessing), and going to war against the bugs! The jalapeno tree is 4.5' tall and 3 years old, and bears all the time!

I read all the posts here about fermenting them for sauce, and since I have a vineyard and know all there is about wine making, I'm on this one big time!!

Some of you use yogurt to kick start, and others use sour dough starter. I have the starter, and separated the hootch from the rest, fed the rest, and it's all outside in 90+ degree shade to begin to bubble.

Do I pitch the starter with the flour in? OR, just the hootch? Hootch is alcohol, and I doubt that it will start a ferment because, in the wine industry, nothing ferments when alcohol levels are high. But what does that flour in the sour dough starter, do to the sauce? Thicken it? Make it cloudy?

And will the sour dough (mine is a couple years old and very sour)flavor the hot sauce adversely? I guess not, because you all add vinegar at the end, correct?

Also, some of you blend your peppers, and others juice them. So many choices.......

I did read that one person here dries the fermented sauce, and uses it for chili powder. I do that all the time with my sourdough starter. Paint it on parchment paper, crack it off, stick it in baggies in the freezer, just in case I forget to feed my precious sour dough starter. I'm all over making home made chili powder this way! Woot!!

Suzi

Comment (1)

Sponsored