SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

questions about planting dates and what can I grow now?

kawaiineko_gardener
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I live in brooksville Florida , which is about an hour from Tampa, and the growing season here is 9a
I relocated from Michigan to central Florida about a month ago. The growing season here is completely opposite of Michigan's so I'm still trying to figure out the planting schedule here. In addition to that, I've never grown anything in Florida so I'm basically figuring things out as I gain experience and get adjusted to the different planting timetables here.

Here is a planting chart that I found for central Florida ( I am just typing it out)

Arugula Sept-March

Beans (pole/bush) Feb-Apr; Aug-Sept

Lima Beans Feb-March; Aug-Sept

Beets Sept-Feb; Broccoli Sep-Feb; Brussels Sprouts Sept-Feb; Cabbage, Sept-Feb

Cantaloupe Jan-Mar

Carrots Aug-Mar

Cauliflower Sept-Feb

Celery Sept-March

Chinese Cabbage Sept-Apr

Collards Sept-Feb

Corn Jan-Apr

Cucumber Jan-Mar; Sept

Eggplant Jan-Feb; Aug-Sept

Endive/Escarole Aug-Feb

Kale Sept-Feb

Kohlrabi Oct-Mar

Lettuce Sept-Feb; Mustard Greens Sept-Feb

Okra Feb-Aug

Onions, Bulbing Oct; Onions bunching (scallions and shallots)

Peas, English/Snow Nov-Feb

Peas, Southern Feb-Aug

Peppers Jan-Mar; Aug-Sept

Potatoes, Irish Nov-Feb

Potatoes, Sweet Feb-Jun

Pumpkin Mid-July

Radish Sept-Mar

Spinach Sept-Mar

Summer Squash Jan-Apr; Aug-Sept

Winter Squash Jan-Apr; Aug-Sept

Chard Sept-May

Tomatoes Jan-Feb; Aug-Sept

Turnips Sept-Feb

Watermelon Jan-Mar

I have a few questions regarding the planting chart. The first is the period of time with when you can plant the plants themselves. As an example, for peppers it says plant Jan-March; when it says this does it mean the peppers have to be planted at the latest at the beginning of March? Or, does it mean you can plant starting in January and that if you plant in March, you can plant through March/any point during March?

My second question is where some vegetables say plant in beginning in summer/early fall through early-mid Spring (i.e. spinach says plant Sept-March). Do they have to be planted in Sept, or can they be planted later provided the vegetable is planted within that time frame (i.e. could even though it says plant spinach in September, could I plant it in January provided I harvest it before March

The last question I have is what can I grow now that will do well? I know it's late to plant lettuce right now, but if I harvest it as baby, can I grow it, or is it just too late to plant it now, even if it's harvested as a baby? I have this question in regards to growing spinach too.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner